Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

sleepwalking to work?!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:41 AM
  • 6 Replies
Okay, DH works Sooo much! Mon-fri 4pm to 430am. Sat goes in around 3/4 and works atleast 4 hrs. Sundays he works graveyard 6 pm to 2/3am. Hes a forklift driver for pipeline parts.No days off bc the newbies AND the seniored don't offer to take his place and they actually are mad/jealous bc before his 90 days temp was up he got hired in an promoted to senior night shift supervisor. He says he doesn't mind working the hours because we are pregnant and we're getting ready to try to buy our first house so he wants us to have as much money as possible. However, lately he's been talking none stop in his sleep about work an Saturday morning I woke up to him pacing in the living room talking to himself about finding parts. I told Jim he was at home an what he was doing. when he heard the word at home immediately walked right past me into the bedroom and start getting dressed for work!!!! Now I know it's been said that its bad to violently wake a sleep walking person but I didn't know what to do he wasn't listening to me and he was persistent on leaving for work. I grab your shoulders and ship him and basically screaming at him telling him that he was at home and he needed to wake up. After about the third time of telling him he was at home and needed to go back to bed, he just turned around didn't say anything crawled into bed and went back to sleep. He had no recollection of it the next morning when I told him about it!! I told him he needs to tell his boss that someone else needs to come in and work for him on the weekends because he needs a lot more sleep because he could wind up just leaving for work sleepwalking go get in his truck and get in a wreck and that's not good. But he thinks that since he still kind of knew that if he says anything I'll get reprimanded or he might lose his job to somebody else that's going to work 24/7 like him...any ideas what to do
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM
He doesn't take any sleeping medication, does he?
DaniandTom
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Stress and sleep deprivation alone can cause sleepwalking. He definitely is dealing with both! You have to, at some point, decide if it's REALLY worth the risk. Although I know you want to buy a home and whatever else, doing it this way can be dangerous! He could fall asleep at the wheel on his way to or from work, have a heart attack, actually leave for work while asleep without you knowing and being able to stop him...etc. He needs time off--we all do. He has to be able to recharge so that he can function properly. He's also not working at his best so it's in the employers best interest as well that he get some rest. 

Why not put off the new home for a year or two? Take things a little slower and enjoy today...if you don't, tomorrow might be very different. 

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have him talk to a doctor because he may be dealing with a sleep disorder.  Hugs.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Nov. 12, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Holy crap. I work 12 hour graves but only required to do 3, more if I want.

Def decide if it's worth it because that sounds dangerous. :(
abismommy25
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM
No its not a sleeping disorder. It just started recently after he started working every wind as well as 12s

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I would have him talk to a doctor because he may be dealing with a sleep disorder.  Hugs.

abismommy25
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM
The thing is though. He takes his daily vitamins an time release b12 right before work so he's alert an performs top notch at work. He's hyper, alert and still 'on the go's one he gets home at 510 am. He will shower or bathe an play video games an eat in order wind down from work. Which puts his fall asleep time at around 630/645. He sleeps until 2pm then eats lunch an heads to work around 330, so he gets plenty of sleep I would say.. almost 8 hrs... so idk how its sleep deprecation.. is it bc all he does is sleep an work? No in between time? Also rent down here compared to a monthly mortgage payment is night difference. We r paying 680 for a two bdrm apt an it goes up another 100$ at first yr. Which the house we r looking at is 4 bdrm 2 bath on 3 acres for 99,000(which is a steal!!!! For price an condition) an our monthly payment would only be 550, way less than we r paying now to rent. On pregnant w #2 SN we r tired of throwing g away money ya knows

Quoting DaniandTom:

Stress and sleep deprivation alone can cause sleepwalking. He definitely is dealing with both! You have to, at some point, decide if it's REALLY worth the risk. Although I know you want to buy a home and whatever else, doing it this way can be dangerous! He could fall asleep at the wheel on his way to or from work, have a heart attack, actually leave for work while asleep without you knowing and being able to stop him...etc. He needs time off--we all do. He has to be able to recharge so that he can function properly. He's also not working at his best so it's in the employers best interest as well that he get some rest. 

Why not put off the new home for a year or two? Take things a little slower and enjoy today...if you don't, tomorrow might be very different. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)