Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do you know about the dangers of going down a slide with your baby?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 14 Replies

Jessica Alba Endangers Her Child -- Without Even Knowing It

by Lisa Fogarty 

Jessica Alba seems like a great mom. Every time I see a photo of her, she is beaming, holding Haven, her toddler, or playing with older sister Honor. She seems to have a good grasp on how to balance her work obligations and family life, AND she always looks like she's just spent five hours at a spa. Good for her! 

But Jessica, Jessica. You had no idea that when you were captured on film doing this, you may have looked as cute as a button, but you were actually endangering your toddler, did you? How could you know? It seems harmless and it's fun and -- again -- you both look so darling while doing it. But promise this is the last time ... okay?

Big deal, you may be thinking, Jessica took a ride down a playground slide with Haven. She wanted to help her toddler experience all the joys her local playground had to offer, and she was ensuring the toddler's safety by not letting her zip off down the slide alone. So she did something so many of us do -- something I did when my daughter was 13 months old -- and placed her baby on her lap while cruising down the slide. Her little girl is smiling, she's happy, what's the problem? 

According to orthopedists, babies can fracture or even break their legs going down a slide with mom or dad. Here's why: it's easy for a young child's foot to get caught on the side of the slide on the way down. If alone, he or she can twist around until the leg is free. But with the force of our weight behind him or her, it becomes easier to break a leg. It's actually way safer to let them learn how to work their way down a slide on their own. 

My little girl fractured her leg while I accompanied her on a slide and it was a horribly scary experience. I'd never heard about the dangers of slides and thought I was doing something all parents did with their kids. I didn't notice whether she had gotten her sneaker caught on the side of the slide, but by the time we'd reached the ground, she was wailing uncontrollably. She had to wear the saddest purple cast on her leg for six weeks -- right when she was beginning to learn how to walk. 

I hope someone tells Jessica to quit being so cute and loving and let her baby experience the slide all on her own.

Did you know about the dangers of going down a slide with your baby?

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my4kidsrock2
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM

That's exactly how my daughter broke her leg when she was 2. I will never do that again. Kids go alone or they don't go.

She's 6 now and luckily has no long term effects from her broken leg (except a fear of slides which she is finally beginning to overcome), but I will have nightmares about that day for the rest of my life. I never want to hear a scream like that again, especially not from one of my babies.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this

My son broke his leg going down the slide alone when it got stuck so saying they can just twist and free it isn't true.  Slides have dangers just like all playground equipment.  What were the chances my son would break his leg?  Pretty slim.  What are the chances Jessica's baby will break her leg?  Pretty slim.  I will not hold my kids in a bubble in case of what if's. 

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I would like to see the statistics on this. It isn't shocking but I know lots of people who have done this and not broken a leg
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Isn't everything a hazard now????  Put kids in bubbles. 

jeda1429
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:04 PM

This made me lol a little just because there are so many ways a child can break their leg on a playground. monkey bars, swings, falling off of platforms.

Lizzys_mommy13
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM

We tuck the legs away from the sides when we go down the slide with our kiddos. I just thought it was me being paranoid I could hurt them. lol

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I actually did know this. I have an acquaintance, that has a nephew, who broke his leg this way.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Yeah I did. I made sure she sat in front of me with her legs inside mine.   I only went down the small baby slides with her and saved the big ones until she was ready for them solo.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM
You tuck their feet in between your legs... It's not hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I never thought about it. Thank you for the alert.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)