Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frustrated with sickness!

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:23 AM
  • 9 Replies

My oldest son started preschool this year, and why I was nurvese anymore because honestly he was premature and I am a little more over protective of him from all the times we been in and out of the hospital and he's had to fight to make it, I new I had to let him go. But my fears are slowly coming to light as he has been sick so many times that the school is already calling to complain he has missed to much school. The last round he got pnemonia, I called the doctors they said it was a bug to watch him by monday when I ran him in it was pnemonia. Another four days of school missed and he's still on medicine to try to fight of the infection. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to try to help avoid it more? He washes his hands a lot at school and at home, the teacher has kids so she knows how important it is. Also is there any way I can get the school to understand whats going on? I'm very frustrated with the whole situation to be honest. I can't keep him in a bubble but wish I could keep the bugs that switch so quickly on him away. Thank you for any advice that comes threw!

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Probiotics and vitamins at home.  Those will help combat illness.  Also when he is at home open windows for awhile to get rid of the bad germs.  You can do this while he is at school if that makes you more comfortable.  How premature was he?   I would be nervous as well if he has never been exposed to alot of people before.  My SO suffered from chronic pneumonia growing up and he was not a preemie.  Part of his cause for it was lack of healthy foods since they were on the poorer side of life.

WooMommy7
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:38 AM

My water was broke at 30 weeks and he was delivered at 33 weeks, I do all that and sanatize like crazy. I actually had to take him out of daycare because of the fact that he was so sick. We spent more time in the hospital the first two years then out of it. I know I can't take him out of everything and he needs to build up a better immune system but it's hard to see him look so miserable. He's still pretty small compared to the other kids too, the doctors are watching him and trying to keep up on it. But sooner or later the antibiotic are going to end up not working from so much use. He has alot of allergies so I need to be careful with certain medicines and foods but I try to keep him very healthy. 

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I wonder if you could be over santizing to the point of where not even good germs have a way to make it to him.  He hasnt been checked for any auto immune disorders has he?  Those would make it easier for bad germs to keep attacking.  He was a very early baby indeed.  did you check out the forum for preemies on here?  There may be someone with more experience and has been through what you are going through to help.

emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM
some kids just get sick more than others (my oldest was 34w0d and never sick, bffs twins wee 32w and the little boy was always such until like 6 years old and the little girl rarely such, my siks kids were 41w+ and are still constantly sick at 5 and 7, my youngest stays sick with cold and such and she was my longest gestation) , especially in preschool and kindergarten, especially if they haven't been around lots of kids. probiitics, vitamin d, garlic, lots of open air when possible.
WooMommy7
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I didn't know there was a premi one on here thats a great Idea than you, and I don't over sanatize I don't think, its just somehow a common cold that even his little brother and sister can beat takes him down and get's worse so quickly. They haven't tested him for much, right now there trying to figure out if he has something called neurofribomatosis. He's always been like this since he was little, i heard about five or six that it usually calms down some so was hoping we get a break. Because he be five in January, but I just remain vigilant. I

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM

It is really common for kids to get sick a lot their first year or two of school as they are in a whole new environment with new germs.  With your son it sounds like it is harder though because instead of it being just a common cold it turns into worse things.  I would make sure to sit down with his teacher and talk about his medical history.  Let her know all the issues you have had in the past with his health.  Anytime he has to miss school due to illness make sure to get a doctor's note.  Also try immune boosting things like probiotics and vitamins like frndlyfn said. 

WooMommy7
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I explained it to the school the numerous times and when the doctor will see us I get notes. Here lately they keep saying it's just a virus keep him home and if it gets worse then call again and won't write me a note. About to change doctors, because mine has just seems to busy to worry about my kids.

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM
He is building immunity. Better being sick in preschool than real school. Antibacteral cleaning isn't really good. It hurts you in the long run. Have to go with the flow and realize he will get sick and it is not a bad thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WooMommy7
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Trust me there riding me like crazy, here because he is almost five and behind it is real school. I think it's okay as long as you don't do it all the time. I do it once the virus is in the house to try to keep it from going around over and over and over again. Other then that i mean I don't sanitize everything he touches he got to get sick sometimes but can't help but get a smiggin frustrated from it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured