Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

When should you wean off sippy cups?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 21 Replies

My 2yo switched from bottles to sippy cups a year ago but she's going to be switching classes at her daycare soon (they group them by ages and skillsets, etc, to try to give them better attention for their age level and what they can/can't do) and one thing they want is for her to not take a sippy cup anymore. It seems too soon for that to me?

When should they give up sippies and move on to regular cups?

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM
You can start now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TatyBear
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM
My 21 month old mostly uses a regular cup. But all kids are different. Just try it out and see if your lo will be OK. She can still use one at home, just practice for daycare.
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM

My boys were about 18 months?   My 16 mo old has been practicing with a regular cup.   I hate sippies, they're a pain to wash!

BUT, my boys were also nursing at this age and my daughter isn't... so she may want the stupid thing longer.  I wish she'd just nurse!

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:16 PM

We stopped around 2 years.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:40 PM

You can definitely start now.  I still let my kids use sippy cups/watterbottles until they were 3 or 4 around the house sometimes or when we were out and about so they could have a drink on the go but I started around 2 teaching them to use regular cups so they knew how and could when they needed to. 

mommyneedssleep
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:43 PM
I do childcare and I stop sippy cups at 2. If they come with one, I just switch it to a regular cup, wash it and give it back at the end if the day! Start with a little in the cup at a time and gradually increase it so you have less spill!
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:05 PM
My oldest used her sippy when she really wanted it until just recently, at three and a half. But with ds we never gave him one, we just switched from bottle to straw cup between six months and a year. He was using a regular cup by 18 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daisy1015
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know that there is an age you need to stop using them, but it is a good skill to teach them to drink from a regular cup as well.  My kids have drunk from regular cups since about one BUT they also still use sippy cups too even at 7 (like in the car or to keep by their beds at bedtime).

BuckeyezRule
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:05 AM

We got rid of sippys when ds entered k. Dd was k 2 years after. I got sick of spoiled milk. Yes, I'm bad. Lol

jglasser7682
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:35 AM

My oldest two children were about three & a half years old when they started drinking from a regular cup.

My youngest is 5 years old and I still make him drink out of a cup with a lid. If I don't put a lid he spills it every single time (without fail).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)