Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

21 month old still taking 4 bottles/night!!!

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM
  • 39 Replies

My son is 21 months old and still wakes 3-4 times every night for a bottle. I just keep a cooler of bottles full of cows milk next to my bed. He wakes up, I hand one to him, we all go back to sleep. (We are still cosleeping.) Here is the thing- I am going to go crazy if I don't get a full night's sleep soon. Also, I just read the post on bottle rot and now I'm terrified his teeth are going to rot. I do brush them but he fights me the entire time and I doubt it really is very thorough. I am torn between two different approaches to this.

1) He will sleep through the night when he is ready, just like he will move into his own bed when he is ready. They are only little for a short time and there is no reason to cause him stress just because I'd like the convenience of a kid sleeping on his own without waking up. Also, I know lots of kids who drink bottles at night with no tooth issues.

2) I'm tempted to just move him into his bedroom, leave bottles of water (or binkies? -he doesn't use one during the day-) in the crib, and say "see ya in the morning". Then if he wakes and is upset enough to wake me up from down the hall  I'll go to him but not take him from his bed.

Suggestions? Which approach is best? What would you do? 

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM

switch to bottles of water in your bed, and then transition to his room in another month--starting by taking naps in there during the day, and get a routine established

leeshuh
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM

That's actually a great idea. I'm worried about how he'll react... wouldn't you say he should give in and take the water if I tell him there is no other option?  

Quoting emmy526:

switch to bottles of water in your bed, and then transition to his room in another month--starting by taking naps in there during the day, and get a routine establised

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow, mine were sleeping though the night at 2 months and 5 months. She sounds like she is in a habit. Stop feeding and get her to self soothe herself back to sleep. I quit bottles and went to sippy's at 13 months. Easier around that time to throw bottles out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM
4 moms liked this
Oh my. How many oz of milk is he drinking in a 24 hr period? More than 24oz puts him at a huge risk for anemia. And of course as you mentioned, tooth decay. You know what's best for him, he does not. It will take some sleepless nights on your part but the bottle needs to go. His health is more important than sleep right now. Don't put water in the bottles. Let him associate water with a cup
instead.
emmy526
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:08 PM

he'll most likely protest at first, and then likely give them up altogether

Quoting leeshuh:

That's actually a great idea. I'm worried about how he'll react... wouldn't you say he should give in and take the water if I tell him there is no other option?  

Quoting emmy526:

switch to bottles of water in your bed, and then transition to his room in another month--starting by taking naps in there during the day, and get a routine establised

leeshuh
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM

They are the smaller, 4 oz bottles. I'd say he drinks probably 12 oz ish at night (he doesn't quite finish them usually) then another 12 during the day (appx). I had no idea milk could cause anemia....how is that? Do you think using water in a bottle to transition is a bad idea? What about binkies just for bed time?

Quoting stepconfused182:

Oh my. How many oz of milk is he drinking in a 24 hr period? More than 24oz puts him at a huge risk for anemia. And of course as you mentioned, tooth decay. You know what's best for him, he does not. It will take some sleepless nights on your part but the bottle needs to go. His health is more important than sleep right now. Don't put water in the bottles. Let him associate water with a cup
instead.

leeshuh
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Hopefully.... ugh! Thanks for the advice. =)

Quoting emmy526:

he'll most likely protest at first, and then likely give them up altogether

Quoting leeshuh:

Quoting emmy526:

AnnaNonamus
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

He is not hungry. He wants the bottle because he's used to getting the bottle. There is no way, unless he has a medical disorder, that he is hungry enough to eat all night long.

My son was a horrible sleeper. He was almost 3 before he was sleeping through the night. It was bad. But, we didn't offer him a bottle at night past 12 months. We would get up with him, change him, and try to get him back to sleep the best we could.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM
What I did with my son is slowly transition him from milk to water. First week 3/4 milk 1/4 water. Next week half and half, next week 3/4 water 1/4 milk, next week all water. You can go quicker than a week and try that. He was also a bit younger. He still takes a bottle of water at night but he barely drinks an oz. the good thing about water is you can just keep it beside him. No storing it in a cooler.
AnnaNonamus
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:31 PM

At his age, he should not be drinking that much milk during the course of a day. Think of it like a drink with a meal. His main source of calories should be coming from food. I would start offering him a sippy of milk with his meals, otherwise water at any other time. Bottles should disappear during the day, too- maybe just at night for now.

Bottle rot happens when babies are falling asleep regularly with liquids in their mouth. It can be an issue, and I would definitely worry about the possibility. That said, as long as you are caring for his teeth by brushing a few times a day, it isn't likely to happen. But, it is a very costly issue. I had a friend whose son had it. She had HUGE dental bills that took years to pay off.

Quoting leeshuh:

They are the smaller, 4 oz bottles. I'd say he drinks probably 12 oz ish at night (he doesn't quite finish them usually) then another 12 during the day (appx). I had no idea milk could cause anemia....how is that? Do you think using water in a bottle to transition is a bad idea? What about binkies just for bed time?

Quoting stepconfused182:

instead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured