Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

21 month old still taking 4 bottles/night!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 21 months old and still wakes 3-4 times every night for a bottle. I just keep a cooler of bottles full of cows milk next to my bed. He wakes up, I hand one to him, we all go back to sleep. (We are still cosleeping.) Here is the thing- I am going to go crazy if I don't get a full night's sleep soon. Also, I just read the post on bottle rot and now I'm terrified his teeth are going to rot. I do brush them but he fights me the entire time and I doubt it really is very thorough. I am torn between two different approaches to this.

1) He will sleep through the night when he is ready, just like he will move into his own bed when he is ready. They are only little for a short time and there is no reason to cause him stress just because I'd like the convenience of a kid sleeping on his own without waking up. Also, I know lots of kids who drink bottles at night with no tooth issues.

2) I'm tempted to just move him into his bedroom, leave bottles of water (or binkies? -he doesn't use one during the day-) in the crib, and say "see ya in the morning". Then if he wakes and is upset enough to wake me up from down the hall  I'll go to him but not take him from his bed.

Suggestions? Which approach is best? What would you do? 

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Replies (31-39):
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:33 PM

My guess is that he is just in the habit now.  I'd keep a cup of water nearby and if he says he is thirsty let him have a sip from that.  Don't let him have milk at night without brushing his teeth afterwards.  Milk sitting in the mouth when asleep is bad for the teeth.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Mine didn't wake up 4 times in the night at 1 day old. One slept 6 hours straight. Other other one fed ever 3 or 4 hours. 21 month old should be sleeping at least 6 or 7 hours straight.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Then you'll be glad to know I'm a pediatrician. Yes, there IS nutritional benefit from eating in the night. Why do you think that should stop during the hours that it's dark outside? Like I said earlier, ignoring a baby's need to eat through the night during the first year can be very harmful.

Quoting landomaker:

Well, I choose to get my information from people that have gone to medical school, not from Google. I never said waking up is abnormal. My 1 yo still wakes up, but after 6 months there is no nutritional benefit to feeding in the middle of the night. Yes, if the child hasn't eaten enough throughout the day, they may be hungry but they no longer need to eat in the middle of night like newborns. Also, like I said, to each his own. You don't have to heed my advice, nor does the OP. We all raise our children differently. As long as the child is safe, I could care less how other parents raise their kids. I also take being a daycare provider very seriously. Not all parents can be stay at home mom's and a lot of them rely on us to care for their children. Yes, there are bad ones out there, just like there are bad parents out there but that doesn't mean they are all bad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:57 PM
If your kids had been breastfed, they most likely would have woken up much more than that in the night. Formula fed babies feed less often because a man made unnatural product digests much slower than tailor made breastmilk. There is no SHOULD be doing anything with children. They are should and do develop differently. Sleeping is different for everyone. I'm an adult and don't even sleep 6 straight hours through the night. Would you want someone telling you that your child should have been walking before a year a half of age? I recall your children walked very late but you don't see me saying that something is wrong with your daughter because mine walked at 9 months old and yours was 19 months. Quit being so critical of everyone and their children. I never see you give any advice worth anything. You just always compare them to your 90lb daughters who you forced
To sleep through the night from birth. I encourage frequent waking because it's a natural defense against SIDS.

Quoting atlmom2:

Mine didn't wake up 4 times in the night at 1 day old. One slept 6 hours straight. Other other one fed ever 3 or 4 hours. 21 month old should be sleeping at least 6 or 7 hours straight.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Then you'll be glad to know I'm a pediatrician. Yes, there IS nutritional benefit from eating in the night. Why do you think that should stop during the hours that it's dark outside? Like I said earlier, ignoring a baby's need to eat through the night during the first year can be very harmful.

Quoting landomaker:

Well, I choose to get my information from people that have gone to medical school, not from Google. I never said waking up is abnormal. My 1 yo still wakes up, but after 6 months there is no nutritional benefit to feeding in the middle of the night. Yes, if the child hasn't eaten enough throughout the day, they may be hungry but they no longer need to eat in the middle of night like newborns. Also, like I said, to each his own. You don't have to heed my advice, nor does the OP. We all raise our children differently. As long as the child is safe, I could care less how other parents raise their kids. I also take being a daycare provider very seriously. Not all parents can be stay at home mom's and a lot of them rely on us to care for their children. Yes, there are bad ones out there, just like there are bad parents out there but that doesn't mean they are all bad.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM
I don't care if you don't like my advice. Quit quoting me then instead of being a know it all. I feel bad for you if you can't sleep 6 hours straight. Straight sleep is important. AND no my 90lb dd did not sleep 6 hours straight till 5 months old.

Quoting stepconfused182:

If your kids had been breastfed, they most likely would have woken up much more than that in the night. Formula fed babies feed less often because a man made unnatural product digests much slower than tailor made breastmilk. There is no SHOULD be doing anything with children. They are should and do develop differently. Sleeping is different for everyone. I'm an adult and don't even sleep 6 straight hours through the night. Would you want someone telling you that your child should have been walking before a year a half of age? I recall your children walked very late but you don't see me saying that something is wrong with your daughter because mine walked at 9 months old and yours was 19 months. Quit being so critical of everyone and their children. I never see you give any advice worth anything. You just always compare them to your 90lb daughters who you forced

To sleep through the night from birth. I encourage frequent waking because it's a natural defense against SIDS.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting landomaker:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Aren't you the one who quoted me? You don't feel bad for me, nor should you. It's perfectly normal for someone to wake up in the night to get a drink or use the bathroom. I get along just fine with the sleep I get. I am not going to apologize for knowing more than you do about medical issues and child development.

Quoting atlmom2:

I don't care if you don't like my advice. Quit quoting me then instead of being a know it all. I feel bad for you if you can't sleep 6 hours straight. Straight sleep is important. AND no my 90lb dd did not sleep 6 hours straight till 5 months old.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Quoting landomaker:

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

He shouldn't be drinking at night at all.  Bacteria grows in the mouth when drinking.  You are going to have to wean him off.  I always stopped giving milk by 7pm.

hn022785
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:57 AM
My 18 month old can sometimes wakes up frequently and the only thing that will settle him is a cup he's been off the bottle for awhile now but it took a lot of different kinds of cups before he finally would drink from a hard sippy cup.... when he does wake up he needs the cup to settle doesn't matter what's in it thank god! He has never liked pacifers (again thank god!!!!) Anf was never good at soothing himself though we are starting to let him sooth it out himself.... he's starting the terrible 2's early and is now throwing fits a lot about a lot of different things.... we also co sleep and have been slowly introducing him to his big boy bed! He never like his crib I don't think he likes to be caged though he plays in the dogs cage all the time lol... I'm hoping he will settle this out himself... some night he doesn't wake a lot other he does... tonight he hasn't woke up once last night he did 4 times and two over night diapers and he still leaked on me this morning when he crawled on me to cuddle this am!!!!! I love his cuddles!!!!
sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:35 AM
We do cosleeping still but it's done in my son's double bed so we leave when he's asleep and go back in when he wakes or sometimes one or both of us sleep in there. He's given a sippy cup of water by his bed. He drinks a lot of water day and night. Anyway when I stopped nursing at 15 months I replaced it with a lot of rocking and holding, singing, stories so its the same with the baba. Id suggest replaving comfort of the bottle with other comforts. i had to laugh about the cooler full if bottles! It seems so extreme! Hope you get some sleep. Mines 3 and still wakes up 2x but it gets easier and the bond gets re-stablished thru the cosleeping, in my opinion.
-PB
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM

At 21 months, throw the bottles away completely.  He'll throw a fit for a few days.  I'd be willing to bet that if you gave him a sippy cup with milk in the middle of the night he would refuse it because he wants the bottle.  In refusing the sippy with milk he will become accustomed to not drinking milk at night. 

If he does take to the sippy with milk at night, you can wean him off of milk by switching to water a month after he gets used to the sippy.  I would also try to feed him more solids throughout the day so that his nutritional needs are being met as well.  Feed him just a little more per meal and feed him more frequently.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)