Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I had no clue my car had this "feature" that could be so dangerous

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM
  • 29 Replies
I have a Toyota hylander, and have recently noticed as I am buckling in my son that the car would lock automatically. Today it did it (i heard it click) and I KNEW I had not pressed the buttons. I took my keys off the back seat, shut the back door and the car was locked. Had I forgotten to remove my keys, my son would have been locked in the car.

I called Toyota, and they said it is a feature that makes it where if you don't open the driver door, it will Re Lock in 60 seconds. They have the ability to remove that sensor so I took it right in. I don't know how many times I have forgotten my keys in the backseat after buckling him in. I guess I usually do open the driver door, but not every time. I would really freak if I actually locked my son in with the kiddo in there, so I wanted that feature gone.

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I don't blame you. I would want that feature gone too.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:22 PM

That is weird.  Ours (not an suv) only locks after the car is started or you can manually lock/unlock the car.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine won't allow the key to be locked in the car. It beeps at you when you push the lock button
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Wow,I wouldn't want that feature either!

julainepw
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Yeah that sucks. Also I hate how in newer cars the cig outlet shuts off so you can charge shit unless the car is on. I used to leave my cell in the car to charge but not anymore which sucks if you have a short drive and a half dead phone.
beethann
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:38 PM

That is one of my biggest fears, to do something like that! 

I don't have that feature but I'm clumsy and mindless so who knows how I would manage to do it, but I'm sure I would find a way!

ConcernedCousin
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:43 PM

that is so unsafe. my van auto locks once i hit 20mph so no chance of being locked out. i would be very scared to put my kids in for fear i'd forget the keys

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM

That is a messed up feature for sure!  I am glad you could get it removed.  Weird. 

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Now that sounds like a great feature!
Quoting a_and_j_momma:

Mine won't allow the key to be locked in the car. It beeps at you when you push the lock button
baconade
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM
I didn't even think about that! I have a corolla and it automatically locks after awhile. Didn't even occur to me that I could accidentally lock my keys in. I keep them in my hand though or put them in her cup holder in her seat when I strap her in.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)