Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I had no clue my car had this "feature" that could be so dangerous

Posted by   + Show Post
I have a Toyota hylander, and have recently noticed as I am buckling in my son that the car would lock automatically. Today it did it (i heard it click) and I KNEW I had not pressed the buttons. I took my keys off the back seat, shut the back door and the car was locked. Had I forgotten to remove my keys, my son would have been locked in the car.

I called Toyota, and they said it is a feature that makes it where if you don't open the driver door, it will Re Lock in 60 seconds. They have the ability to remove that sensor so I took it right in. I don't know how many times I have forgotten my keys in the backseat after buckling him in. I guess I usually do open the driver door, but not every time. I would really freak if I actually locked my son in with the kiddo in there, so I wanted that feature gone.

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Replies (21-29):
coupon_ash_back
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I have that feature and hate it. I really upsets me and I don't know hat to do about it, but im getting a anew car anyway this one is  older than dinosaurs.

msharleyjr
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM
This is one time I can say thank goodness for old vehicles! You have to manually lock them.
Jerichos_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I would be getting rid of that quick too.  I understand auto locking when you start the car but that is it.

MomtoAlexis05
Enjoying my time in :" Time Out for You " please come join us.......!!!!!
Yesterday at 9:13 PM
by Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM

banging head into wallI have a Subaru Outback. Legacy and I had locked the house up, brought my then 2 yo daughter out to the carseat, did the same as you, but had the car started 1st, went to buckle her in, closed the door and somehow locked it. House was locked so didn't have the ability to call for helped and lived in Very rural area. I paniced started banging against drivers side door....then I finished scraping the continusously falling snow off Her car window and motioned to her and screamed to her to lean forward and POP up the little pop up!!!! ((is how I put it)), she had mittens on,, oh great!!!, I told her TAKE MITTENS OFF and POP UP the POP UP BUTTON OK??? she reached over but could not reach it as she was buckled into a 5 point harness. Sooo I had to describle to a 2 yr from 5 degree weather outside (which I was not dressed for bth) to PRESS the RED BUTTON!!!! first, then press the pop up!!!! She did and then I kept knocking and pointing, knocking and pointing, eventually she got it up and I burst into the car omg!!!! I was so glad I was able to tell her how to do it as I would have been in trouble!!

jupiter5
by Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Mine does that but keeps the front door unlocked even so whenever the keys are in the ignition and I am putting my son in the car a keep a window open just in case
katemckenzie
by Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Mine does that too, and it pisses me off because I always lose my regular charger, so I can't just put my phone in my car to charge.

Quoting julainepw:

Yeah that sucks. Also I hate how in newer cars the cig outlet shuts off so you can charge shit unless the car is on. I used to leave my cell in the car to charge but not anymore which sucks if you have a short drive and a half dead phone.
MustBNapTime
by Member on Nov. 28, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Ugh... Freakin hate technology sometimes... I reallllllyyyy want a car with --NO-- technology in that has to do with the fuction of it. I find it freaky!

katemckenzie
by Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 2:40 AM
Mine does that too, and it pisses me off because I always lose my regular charger, so I can't just put my phone in my car to charge.

Quoting julainepw:

Yeah that sucks. Also I hate how in newer cars the cig outlet shuts off so you can charge shit unless the car is on. I used to leave my cell in the car to charge but not anymore which sucks if you have a short drive and a half dead phone.
achorney
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I work for a locksmith. It's very common in many newer vehicles.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured