Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to Keep Santa a Secret?

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM
  • 54 Replies

Now, my four year old knows Santa Claus isn't real. My husband and I decided long before we brought our daughter home that we weren't doing Santa, Tooth Goblin, Easter Bunny, etc. We love Christmas though, it's our favourite holiday and we go all out for it. However, we don't do Santa. My four year old knows this. However, as it approaches the holidays, we worry that she'll blurt it out to other kids at her play-group. We've tried to do our best explaining that some kids do believe in Santa Claus and it's best not to tell them, and I trust she'll do her best, but I do worry that it'll come up in conversation one of these days. She's a very honest kid, she doesn't lie, so I'm concerned if someone asks her she'll just blurt it out. We've been trying to teach her to field the question or simply say "I don't believe in Santa Claus" and leave it at that, but...*sigh*, I still don't know how to explain it so she'll get a decent understanding of it. 

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehutmacher
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Ha! My dd is the same way and I was nervous about the same thing. But, like you. I told her that some kids DO believe in Santa, and that it should be the job of the parents to tell them the truth when they are ready, not her. She seems to understand.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 2:10 AM

What the heck is a tooth goblin???  ....  What she can also say is "my family does not know santa" since that is the truth as well.  DD is 7 and I think she is wavering in her belief but we have instilled the spirit of him rather than the actual person.  She knows all the Santas around town are not the actual Santa.  They are his helpers.

funhappymom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:55 AM

I think what you are dong is a good thing. Just keep reminding her, especially before play dates.

Enjoy a Coffee Break Chat with us Every Tuesday!

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM

LOL, I was wondering the same thing.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What the heck is a tooth goblin???  ....  What she can also say is "my family does not know santa" since that is the truth as well.  DD is 7 and I think she is wavering in her belief but we have instilled the spirit of him rather than the actual person.  She knows all the Santas around town are not the actual Santa.  They are his helpers.

aym1486
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My girls are very compassionate and caring so I would tell them other people believe and if you tell them it's not true then it might hurt their feelings.
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM
You have to talk to him a lot and let him know other kids believe and he cannot ruin it for others. For years he is gonna have to be quiet and go with the flow. My brother figured it out at 5. He had to believe for 7 more years till I stopped believing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it's ok if she tells other kids santas fake. My feeling is its not your problem to protect them from learning it. Their parents will have to just reinforce it by saying that your daughter just doesn't believe in it but that their family does. I remember it was a big pain to pretend it for my little sister, it felt like lying. I kinda like your way
TheFirstNoel
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Oh, to clear up any confusion, I grew up wit my grandparents and they had the Tooth Goblin bring them small sweets when they were children. So, instead of the Tooth Fairy, I had the Tooth Goblin. I keep forgetting that few people use that term! 

DLMsMommy
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:42 PM
4 moms liked this
I delt with the other side of this last year. We do believe in Santa at our house. I am a firm believer in kids having magic and imagination and wonder in their lives as long as possible... not knocking those who disagree, its just my feeling. It was so hard when my 5yo step daughter came to me in tears because someone at her school had told her there was no Santa. We did our best to help her... told her that some people believe and others don't and that Santa doesn't visit houses where no one believes in him. We had her Christmas morning and as usual, "Santa" left a note beside the half eaten cookie... it just said "--Child's name---, I am as real as you make me" and left it at that. This year she has already started reminding her 4yr old little sister to be good because Santa is watching...

I think you are doing fine. You explained to her that some people believe, and you asked her to respect that. If she slips up, as kids will do, it is up to the other child's parents to handle it in the way they see fit. Children are tougher than we give them credit for, and hold on to faith and belief stronger than most adults I have known. IMHO If the other child still wants to believe, then nothing your little one can say will change that... :)
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 16, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I would keep doing what you are doing.  My kids do believe and we have told them that others may not believe and that is their choice but that we do and they accept that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured