Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I need help

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM
  • 15 Replies
My daughter is 4 and I have talked to her pedi about this and she said that I can't have her diagnosed at her age. I have people and her teacher tell me that she could have ADHD or a form of autism. She doesn't listen and she is always hyper. She purposely misbehaves. Hits her brother and sister. I'm at my wits end with her. I don't know what to do anymore. She gets plenty if sleep and eats right. Does this sound like ADHD or autism?

I should add that when she gets punished she hits her head or hits whatever is around her, again I'm so lost on what to do with her. I am not trying to diagnose her. I just want some opinions from other people
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TCain0001
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I've got a 4yo sd who does the same stuff (with the exception of banging her head on stuff)--give her a couple of little swats on her ass, and she'll stop and listen quick enough!  A spanking won't hurt her, but it sure will catch her attention!

kerriwarenda
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I have tried that she doesn't listen to me but she listens to her father

Quoting TCain0001:

I've got a 4yo sd who does the same stuff (with the exception of banging her head on stuff)--give her a couple of little swats on her ass, and she'll stop and listen quick enough!  A spanking won't hurt her, but it sure will catch her attention!

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Have you tried a diet change? 
Taking out sugars, preservatives, milk, etc.?

kerriwarenda
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Can I get sugar free juice?

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Most sugar free juice has artificial sugar in it which is worse than natural sugar. I would just steer clear of juices all together. Water with cut up fruit and ice is always fun for my daughter. 
Usually, anything that says "Sugar free" is because it uses artificial sweeteners.  

Quoting kerriwarenda:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

kerriwarenda
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Well I need to send juice with her to pre school but that's the only juice she gets in the day. It's either milk or water

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Most sugar free juice has artificial sugar in it which is worse than natural sugar. I would just steer clear of juices all together. Water with cut up fruit and ice is always fun for my daughter. 
Usually, anything that says "Sugar free" is because it uses artificial sweeteners.  

Quoting kerriwarenda:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

While it may be hard waiting until she is older to see if she might have a diagnosis there are definitely things ou can do now.  Like Mommy2justone said taking out sugar might help.  Also giving her lots of time to run and play and get her energy out in good ways like playing outside, the playground, playgroups, the rec center, etc.  To me it is a huge sign that you said that she will listen to her father, just not to you.  That shows me she has the ability to listen so it is more of an issue with her listening and behaving for you and not in general.  I am not saying this to be mean in any way.  Kids learn when they can take advantage of something and often will.  Consistancy in discipline is the key.  I highly recommend a book called Love and Logic:  Magic for Early Childhood. 

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

My daughter has a neurological issue called Complex Motor Stereotypy. She has been dairy free and sugar free (for the most part, holidays we allow it) for almost 2 years now and we notice a HUGE difference. 
She used to be bouncing off the walls, not able to focus, having CMS episodes every 10 minutes at least. Now she is able to focus, is doing wonderfully in school, and her episodes are down to once or twice a day.

My recommendation would be to start reading labels. Stay away from anything you can't pronounce in the ingredient list. Less ingredients are better. 
Stay away from boxed meals, like mac n cheese, or prepackaged snacks.
Switch to almond milk or coconut milk, cows milk has casein in it, which can cause issues in some people (like my daughter). Taking out milk was the biggest thing for her, we saw immediate change about a week after taking Dairy out of her diet.  

If you need any other ideas, feel free to message me! Good luck

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Horizons makes packaged organic milk. That would be healthier, and you wouldn't have to worry about the sugars. 
And it is ultra pasteurized so it doesn't need to be refrigerated. They make chocolate as well, it doesn't have added sugars, just natural ones.  

Quoting kerriwarenda:

Well I need to send juice with her to pre school but that's the only juice she gets in the day. It's either milk or water

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Quoting kerriwarenda:

Quoting Mommy2justone:

sara170
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

We just went through this with 6 year old DS, we were in limbo between ADD/ADHD and Aspergers but neither fit 100% plus I am against drugging my baby so our doctor referred us to occupational therapy. According to his therapist, she would guess that more than 80% of children being treated for ADD/ADHD are miss diagnosed, and claims to be able to CURE him, and so far he is making incredible progress. Check out this site. Sorry I have not figured out clickable links. Go to: www.sensory-processing-disorder.com then click on symptoms checklist on the left hand side. Good luck, keep us posted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)