Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How much is appropiate?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:58 AM
  • 9 Replies

When you met your SO's mother for the first time, how much did you disclose to her about yourself? If she was asking you any questions that were inappropiate (i.e. being a b**ch), how did you respond and/or deal with her?

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
famiglia_bella
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:06 AM

My MIL was horrid when we first spoke.  I chose to ignore it because I loved her son so much.  Fast forward two-plus decades and she is the same to me and a nightmarish witch to our children.  But for the fact that her son is a.maz.ing. I regret EVER crossing paths with her.  (Or maybe I should tell you how I really feel....)

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 17, 2013 at 7:36 PM

He had already told her all about me and there was nothing to hide as I had no shady type things in my past so we got along great and still do to this day. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 7:58 PM
MIL is and was awesome. I was 19 so there was not much to disclose. HS, one year of college. I didn't have a past.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I never got to meet her.  She had passed away years before I met my guy.  Whenever someone asks me soemthing I do not want to answer, I will tell them I am not comfortable with that topic.    How do you figure out what is innappropriate or not?

luvmia
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I feel like when questions that I deem are too private should not be asked such as in reference to my family's business.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I never got to meet her.  She had passed away years before I met my guy.  Whenever someone asks me soemthing I do not want to answer, I will tell them I am not comfortable with that topic.    How do you figure out what is innappropriate or not?

ladybugchar
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Well, she was in shock. No one in the family knew dh was dating anyone. He didn't do much dating at all and everyone thought he was always going to be alone. Some family even thought he was gay. So she didn't ask much or anything because she found out he was dating someone and that we were planning to get married.
taratennant77
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:24 AM
my fiance mother never around she only med kids once or twice
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Tread VERY. VERY. VERY. Carefully. Smile, nod, never disclose anything that is beyond need to know. Gl!   :))

TheFirstNoel
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I love the majority of my in-laws. I am an only child and my parents and grandparents died a long time ago, so I have to rely on DH's family to family get-togethers. He has six siblings, all married with children. None of them have less than two children. His MIL and I get along alright. She can sometimes be nosy. While I like her most of the time, sometimes her questions bug me. I simply say "That isn't something I need to discuss with you." And leave it at that. Like it or not, it's the answer she's getting. She's learning though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)