Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Whose responsibility is it to watch and correct visiting children in your house?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM
  • 116 Replies

When you have children and at least one of their parents at your house, are you supposed to take charge of them and tell them to stop doing something? Or is the parent supposed to do this?  Sometimes I feel that the parent thinks they are on a vacation when they come here and let their child run crazy.

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emilysmom8
by Dawn on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM
8 moms liked this
The parents SHOULD correct their own child but if someone is in my house and they are doing something that can cause someone to get hurt or something to break and the parent isnt saying anything I will ask them to stop doing what they are doimg
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:05 AM

This would be my first thought also, but should I ask the parent to have the child stop that?

Quoting emilysmom8:

The parents SHOULD correct their own child but if someone is in my house and they are doing something that can cause someone to get hurt or something to break and the parent isnt saying anything I will ask them to stop doing what they are doimg

jennkrzyz
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
My problem is I don't have kids, but I'm friends with women I babysit for. So their parents are over for a social visit. Do I correct the kids as I would while babysitting or just stay in a social setting with their mom?
Sorry to tag onto your question? I've thought about this before too.
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this
Parents should the correcting but if they don't notice I will do it
cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:10 AM
3 moms liked this
It takes a village to raise a kid. If i see it first then i correct them. If some other adults sees it then they do. If the parent sees it is they do.But if your friends are acting like this call them out. That's what i do
Sister_Someone
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I do not volunteer to watch other people's kids, in my home or at any other place. You brought your brats you watch 'em, else you're both getting kicked out of my home.

cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Both.

Quoting jennkrzyz:

My problem is I don't have kids, but I'm friends with women I babysit for. So their parents are over for a social visit. Do I correct the kids as I would while babysitting or just stay in a social setting with their mom?

emilysmom8
by Dawn on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Honestly Ive never asked the parent first but Ive never really 'yelled" at a kid, I most just look at the kid and say 'Sam please dont do that you can hurt Joe by doing that" or "hey Alice please dont throw tje ball in the house I dont want anything to be broke" and no one (including parents) have ever got mad at me for correcting their kid

Quoting Bmat:

This would be my first thought also, but should I ask the parent to have the child stop that?

Quoting emilysmom8:

aidyns_mommy
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM
3 moms liked this
I always tell people when we go somewhere (more when ds was younger) too correct him. I of course would still parent and didn't ever feel lliked I was on a vacation. He just responded better to whom ever we were visiting because he knew it was their house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I'm glad you wrote your question. It fits in well with this topic. :)   I guess in your case I'd still go through the parents. The social setting would take preference over the babysitting, I think. 

Quoting jennkrzyz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)