Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

4 month old screams in car...

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 20 Replies
The second I put her in the car, she starts screaming, and it doesn't stop. She gets so worked up she won't take her pacifier. I want to go see my family that lives 45 minutes away on Thanksgiving, but I'm too scared to go with her. My husband or I usually sit in the back with her to give her a bottle or help her, but my husband works on Thanksgiving, so he won't be able to come. Any advice for getting her to stay calm and quiet in the car? TIA!
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Just drive. She will deal. Nothing you can really do to calm a 4 month old in the car. Most love car rides at that age, but some don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Do you have a mirror that she can see herself?
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Just go. Many kids do this. There's nothing you can do. She will grow out of it and giving a bottle in the car is dangerous anyway. Turn some music on and drive. My daughter was the same way. I couldn't change all my plans because she didn't like car rides though.
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried a convertible car seat? A lot of babies don't like the infant carrier. We skipped it altogether.

Sister_Someone
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Sorry mama, nothing you can do. My son was like that when he was small, and he still hates being in the car to this day. Some babies just hate the car. Just go, put some music on, and if all else fails, consider earplugs.

tddncw2010
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I was going to suggest switching to a covertable car seat as well. 

Quoting Randi02:

Have you tried a convertible car seat? A lot of babies don't like the infant carrier. We skipped it altogether.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM
You could try and convertible car seat and mirror.
mmccrea
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Does leaving her back there to cry make her emotionally unstable later in life? I'm worried about messing her up. I know they say now that letting kids cry it out now is bad for them....
letstalk747
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM

music ?

shakesrear
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:13 AM

My children did the same thing - all 3 of them. I just gritted my teeth and took some breaks. I really doubt it will harm your child for life. I think child development can't be impacted so greatly and definitively by one event. You have to look at the overall nurturing environment. Children are resilient, and they always let you make it up to them :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)