Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Flu Shot vs. Flu Mist - Do you get the flu vaccine every year?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM
  • 12 Replies

Flu Shot vs. Flu Mist: Know Your Options

by Emily Abbate 

Choosing_Flu_Shot_Vs_SprayAs someone who doesn't exactly love needles, I was amped when I first heard about the nasal spray flu vaccine a few years back. I mean, come on -- avoid the prick, just get a little spritz, and be all set? Sounds like a dream to me!

Regardless, there are some things you should know, both for yourself and your kids, when you're choosing between the flu vaccine shot and the nasal spray. Here's everything you need to know about the nasal vaccine vs. the flu shot, here:

1. Who should use the spray? The spray is NOT meant for children younger than 2 and adults over 50. Pregnant woman should also opt for the shot over the spray.

2. None is recommended over the other: The CDC does not recommend one flu vaccine over another. The most important thing is just to get vaccinated, and both are equally effective. 

3. However, the nasal spray works better for kids: There's evidence that the FluMist nasal spray works better in kids than the shot. 

4. Neither vaccine causes the flu: A very huge myth among vaccinators, neither the flu spray nor the shot can actually cause the flu illness. The viruses that are injected into the body cannot infest in the lungs or other body areas with warmer temperatures.

5. Watch out if you're sick: The nasal spray can be given to people with minor illnesses (i.e., upper respiratory tract infection with or without fever or diarrhea). Other than that -- it's only approved for use in healthy people. When you're severely congested, it's recommended you choose the shot over the nasal spray.

Do you get the flu vaccine every year? Which one do you choose for yourself and your family?

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM

We don't get a flu shot. But my foster son was required to have one, and I don't get a say. 

Vegan_Goddess
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Never get the flu shot and I never get the flu!

-PB
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM

The mist is also not recommended for people with certain medical conditions because it is a live virus.  I get the shot because I can't have the mist. 

sara170
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM

When we did get the flu vaccine I always chose the nasal spray for the kids and we got the shot. I am now anti-vaccine, so never again in this house.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM
I don't. Dh and college dd get the shot. Don't want dd to get he live mist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I get it every year due to a pre existing medical condition. I have only had the mist once and that was 2 years ago. Last year since I was pregnant I had to get the shot and this year all they had available was the shot. I get mine at work at their yearly clinic. My daughter got the shot this year as well. She was 8.5 months at the time. She gets her due to my medical condition. My doctor and her pedi agreed it's in both of our best interests. My husband gets his courtesy of the Army.

mommyof24ever
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM
I prefer not to put fermeldahyde or mercury into my families systems...just saying
momwriter
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM

We don't get the shot. I got the flu once and it was horrible; I couldn't walk, was so weak I had to crawl. Hoping that never happens again to any of us.

iHEARTmyBABYboy
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:43 PM

i made the mistake of getting my oldest and myself a flue shot and we we so sick i ended up taking him to childrens hospital. now i have a 5 month old preemie and their doctor is insisting on giving them both the flu shot before christmas "to prevent illness" but every time i have gotten it, mist or shot, i get very very sick. so im not going to give it to my children

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Yes, we get the shot every year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)