Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Daughter surpasses learning expectations for preschool

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 4 Replies

My daughter's preschool teacher pulled me aside and filled me in on how my daughter is doing in class. She informed me that my daughter has surpassed the expectations for a child who is in preschool. Not that it is an issue, but my daughter is only 3 (will be 4 in about 5 months) and I have no idea how to encourage her to learn more. I dont want to seem pushy and I never force her to do anything she does not want to do. She can identify the majority of the letters in the alphabet with a few exceptions. She also is able to count to 100 but she as trouble on a few numbers. She also is able to write her name and begin tracing other letters wonderfully. How do I continue to encourage her to learn more while still having her feel that it is fun and exciting? I dont want to push her to do anything she doesnt want to do, but the preschool teacher also told me to keep encouraging more growth at home that way she will be beyond prepared for kindergarten.

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

My experience is that if the child is over-prepared the system doesn't know what to do with them. So I'd say just keep doing what you've been doing and don't push.

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I would just keep doing what you are doing.  When she wants to let her work on tracing letters and count things as you go throughout the day.  You can also do a letter of the week where you do fun things about that letter during the week like crafts that begin with that letter, talk about words that start with that letter, practice writing that letter, etc. 

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Follow her lead. (:
emarin77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM

My son was the same way at that age.  I saw that my son was smart with the basic skills so I used flash cards to start learning to read simple words and math.  When she gets older she can take advanced classes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN