Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

probiotics?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM
  • 10 Replies

i buy the Culterelle kids probiotics for my girls. It is at the drug store and is in powder form. Someone told me today that a pharmacist told her that they didnt do much good if they werent refridgerated probiotics? Any truth to this?

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
britmichele
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Not sure, we used to use the gummy ones tho.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

honestly no clue but i imagine since it is supposed to be live cultures they need to be chilled.

-PB
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM

idk but I take probiotics so I would like to know as well.

ZombieChicken
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM
I ferment food for our probiotics. I thought they needed to be refrigerated.
Skyann_Marie
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM

My daughters pedi had me but her on the powder probiotic (Culturelle) last week when we went in for her appointment (shes almost six weeks) He said that it has a lot of the things in it that she could use since im not breast feeding and itll also help her go to the bathroom. She doesn't have regular bowel movements :(  So i dont thing it has anything to do with it being refrigerated or not.

Ellemama3
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Many probiotics are pH stabile so that they can survive in warmer temperatures. The probiotics I take and the ones my son takes have helped IMMENSELY and they are not refrigerated. (I used to believe they HAD to be refrigerated to be effective but I've discovered that that's far from the truth!) :) just my two cents I hope it helps! But of course u can get the refrigerated ones if your concerned and they work great!
a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I have never heard that

.LoveMy2Girls
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Id like to know more about probiotics
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM
That's what I heard from my pharmacist. He said that since it is supposed to be live bacteria and if they are kept on a shelf, they are dead.

They must be refrigerated to keep th alive and inactive state until they enter your body... That's why Activia is such and active seller. (although way more expensive.)
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:18 AM

This has been my understanding, as well. I actually have both kinds.

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

That's what I heard from my pharmacist. He said that since it is supposed to be live bacteria and if they are kept on a shelf, they are dead.

They must be refrigerated to keep th alive and inactive state until they enter your body... That's why Activia is such and active seller. (although way more expensive.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN