Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

When to go to urgent care or er...

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM
  • 18 Replies
My 20 month old son just woke me up with the Most horrid Barky/ weird cough. He has not been sick, not been coughing at all prior to this. Howver he sounds horrible right now. I'm nursing him to calm him down because he was crying and it made it harder for him to breath. He is wheezing now and coughs when I move him.

None of my 4 kids have ever made a noise like this. Is this whooping cough?? Should I take him in now or just call his doc first thing in the morning? He seems ok breathing wise, just wheezy and that Bad sounding cough. No fever or anything else.

Edit: I took him in after sitting in a steamy bathroom with him for a while. The doc said it was croup and he was not too bad off but they prescribed a cough med with a steroid to calm it down and to use if it happens again. He is tired but pretty normal today. Still coughing a bit but not like last night.
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_star
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM
If he has trouble breathing, of course take him in, otherwise wait until tomorrow. It might be whooping cough, but could be croup. If its cold where you are, take him outside, cold air will help with croup
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I think unless he is struggling to breathe and/or cant go back to sleep, It can wait until morning.  I would follow your mommy instincts though for coughs.

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM
He is breathing fine, just wheezing with it. It's just shockingly sudden. He was fine and normal all day today. I've never has experience with croup. My thoughts just jumped to whooping cough for some reason.

I will be calling his doc first thing, whatever this is its not a cold.

Quoting jojo_star:

If he has trouble breathing, of course take him in, otherwise wait until tomorrow. It might be whooping cough, but could be croup. If its cold where you are, take him outside, cold air will help with croup

shiningjoy
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

if you put your ear to his back can you hear anything?  If he is weezing, he may be having a harder time breathing than you think.  Weezing can bring his O2 level down pretty quick

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM
All I can hear is wheezing. It's very loud. He looks ok, pink and normal. He is trying to sleep but I don't think he is comfortable enough to.

Quoting shiningjoy:

if you put your ear to his back can you hear anything?  If he is weezing, he may be having a harder time breathing than you think.  Weezing can bring his O2 level down pretty quick

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Sounds like croup. It is viral. Steam up the bathroom or use vaporizer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CountryGirl0809
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:33 AM
If he is wheezing take him in. They will give him breathing treatment and steroids to take down te inflammation. Croup can be very dangerous. You don't mess around.
shiningjoy
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I say take him in

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 19, 2013 at 4:28 AM
Does your dr have a answering service? I would call and ask the dr first. You don't want to take him in and expose him to even more things.
Radellia
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 4:29 AM
This

Quoting atlmom2:

Sounds like croup. It is viral. Steam up the bathroom or use vaporizer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)