Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for those who don't do birthday parties every year?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:21 AM
  • 35 Replies
DH and I have decided that we're not going to celebrate our children's birthdays with a party every year. So far, we've celebrated by decorating the house, making a special day of it at home with just our family and sending in treats for DS's class at preschool. It works for us, he's always loved what we've done, but I know he'll expect something more as he gets older and starts to notice that other kids have birthday parties. He's pretty easy going and very good with accepting things as long as you explain things to him and he completely understands.

I like the idea of keeping what we have done so far and only doing birthday parties to celebrate milestones and really make it worthwhile. My only problem is, what exactly is a milestone? So far we've done a tiny little one at one and plan to do a proper one in kindergarten. But what's next? If you currently or in the past have done what we'd like to do, which years did/do you celebrate with a party?
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
famiglia_bella
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I threw a party when my kids said they wanted one.  

bellawomen
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I give my son a choice...a party or an experience.

I personally think every year is worth celebrating, so we do. Last year we spent 3 days in LA playing tourist. This year we are going to Disneyland/California adventure for 2 days and staying at the hotel there.

He continues to say his LA birthday was his favorite and we have thrown some great parties lol
famiglia_bella
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Do NOT stay anywhere west of West/Disneyland off of Katella Ave.  And if you like Mexican food, the Alerto's on Harbor and Katella is clean and yummy.  It pains me when I see the Disney tourists pass it up for the other choices in that strip.  (It's within walking distance so it gets lots of Disney traffic after the park closes.)

Reference:  Me.  I love Anaheim.

Quoting bellawomen:

I personally think every year is worth celebrating, so we do. Last year we spent 3 days in LA playing tourist. This year we are going to Disneyland/California adventure for 2 days and staying at the hotel there.

He continues to say his LA birthday was his favorite and we have thrown some great parties lol

bellawomen
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Thanks! We are in Oceanside, so not far from there.

I still haven't reserved a hotel yet, so feel free to offer suggestions. :) Ideas would be great, especially if they have a kitchenette so we can cook food since my son has a dairy allergy. Eating out is hard.

Quoting famiglia_bella:

Do NOT stay anywhere west of West/Disneyland off of Katella Ave.  And if you like Mexican food, the Alerto's on Harbor and Katella is clean and yummy.  It pains me when I see the Disney tourists pass it up for the other choices in that strip.  (It's within walking distance so it gets lots of Disney traffic after the park closes.)

Quoting bellawomen:

famiglia_bella
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM

(Sorry to the OP for the hijacking... :)  )

I don't know specific ones that have kitchenettes but I know the area well.  If you are staying within walking distance, better to be on Harbor Blvd than Katella, unless you are within a couple of blocks of the park.  Don't stay in the hotel right next to the 5 entrance (Katella), I think it's a HOJO, either way, it looks questionable.  Think downtown O'side, off Mission, Motel 6, where the boots go to party every weekend.  LOL

Quoting bellawomen:

I still haven't reserved a hotel yet, so feel free to offer suggestions. :) Ideas would be great, especially if they have a kitchenette so we can cook food since my son has a dairy allergy. Eating out is hard.

Quoting famiglia_bella:

Quoting bellawomen:

bellawomen
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this
haha You crack me up! Staying away from there :)

Quoting famiglia_bella:

(Sorry to the OP for the hijacking... :)  )

I don't know specific ones that have kitchenettes but I know the area well.  If you are staying within walking distance, better to be on Harbor Blvd than Katella, unless you are within a couple of blocks of the park.  Don't stay in the hotel right next to the 5 entrance (Katella), I think it's a HOJO, either way, it looks questionable.  Think downtown O'side, off Mission, Motel 6, where the boots go to party every weekend.  LOL

Quoting bellawomen:

Quoting famiglia_bella:

Quoting bellawomen:

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM

We give our children a choice.  The oldest usually likes taking trips.  One year he went to the zoo.  Last year we took him to Sea World for his birthday.  We celebrate all birthdays.  Parties generally happen for 1st birthday and then anytime they want a birthday party.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

KelliansMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM
My son had his first party ever this year. He turned five. I didn't feel the need to have a party for him the years before since he wouldn't really remember. We still hung decorations and I made him a cake but it's was just my husband and I celebrating with him. I'm not sure what we will do next year but I will give him the choice.
MyDiwa
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. Although the idea of offering an experience or a party each year seems nice, with multiple children I could easily see it becoming overwhelming and impractical with school, finances etc as they get older.

Just to clarify, we do celebrate every year, just not with a party. We decorate the house and his room at night after he's in bed, make him a cake with a design he picks (I make custom specialty cakes for a hobby, last year it was a train), he eats all his favorite foods all day (eg ice-cream for breakfast etc) and we do whatever he wants to do with me when he gets home from school. So we do make the day special and entirely about him. I just wanted ideas on what to tell him we've decided the "special" birthdays will be going forward.
1squishysmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Our boys always had a choice. Our oldest usually chose a party, our youngest never really wanted one. They are now 21 and 17. Their personalities have stayed with them. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured