Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Truancy for 4 year old?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ok my first child has started PreK.  I'm new to the whole child in school thing and I've been making a few mistakes. 

My daughter has been sick left and right since she started school. What started out I thought as a bad cold turned out to be a viral illness and I kept her out of school for several days. She was coughing, with fever and a body rash.

I called the first day and informed the school she was sick. The next day the school called me with a recording saying I needed to call them or send a note with the child to excuse the absense. OK so my  mistake was thinking that since they knew she was sick and the recording said it was ok to send a note, I could just send her in with a note as soon as she was better. And I did. But then the office said that wasn't ok I should have called every day and that because the absenses were therefore unexcused the DA would be contacted and I would receive a truancy letter. If she misses any more school, charges could be pressed.

I received a letter about the truancy from the school and it mentions the state's Compulsary Attendence Law, which dictates when the absences are to be reported to the DA. 

I read the law and first paragraph it says it applies to students over 5 and under 18. My daughter is 4 until April. ?? So is the school being unneccarily harsh on me and wrong for reporting it to the DA? Or am I missing something?

I'm perfectly fine with following school policy and have no intention on ever making this mistake again. But the whole DA threat really bothers me.

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thatgirl70
by Carin on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Considering that in most states pre-k is optional (and so is Kindergarten), that never should have gone out. They probably did it by mistake (or at least I hope so). I would discuss it with them and show them what you read.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Preschool??? Never heard of it but mine went to private preschools.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SecularMomma
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I thought it was weird too because it being optional for her to even be enrolled. My husband was the one to try to hand in the note to the school office and they were very rude and harsh with him regarding the matter. I think I will go in myself and ask. I guess it must be a mistake. I hope so at least.

Quoting thatgirl70:

Considering that in most states pre-k is optional (and so is Kindergarten), that never should have gone out. They probably did it by mistake (or at least I hope so). I would discuss it with them and show them what you read.

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this
If the age is 5-18 technically they can't charge you but they can have the truancy officer talk to you.

Some schools are becoming really strict about preschool attendance because people are signing up, then pretty much using it as a babysitter. They miss a ton of days just because or only send their child 1 or 2 days a week. Which isn't fair to people who are on the waiting list or if the child is in the class because of early intervention before they start K.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I wouldn't worry but make sure next time your child is in a day care setting or other follow the rules of the school or place you have your child in.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM

This makes it understandable 

Quoting snowangel1979:

If the age is 5-18 technically they can't charge you but they can have the truancy officer talk to you.

Some schools are becoming really strict about preschool attendance because people are signing up, then pretty much using it as a babysitter. They miss a ton of days just because or only send their child 1 or 2 days a week. Which isn't fair to people who are on the waiting list or if the child is in the class because of early intervention before they start K.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Technically nobody can get in trouble for it since she isn't required to go to school at all. The main concern is that you can't do this next year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SecularMomma
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Of course. I never intended to NOT follow the rules. LOL I've never had my kids in any kind of daycare or school before. I just misunderstood what they needed from me.

Quoting emarin77:

I wouldn't worry but make sure next time your child is in a day care setting or other follow the rules of the school or place you have your child in.

amberNewman0213
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Make sure next time to deff have a doctor's note. That's the only excuses the schools take anymore.
3lilmonsters88
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:59 AM
They sent me a similar letter for my 4yr old who is in prek. I think its bullshit. I cant help she was a preemie and because of that has a low immune system.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)