Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

what's the point of having a dog if....

Posted by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 40 Replies
4 moms liked this
if you're gonna chain the dog up outside all day a night. Leave the dog outside with no dog house in the rain and snow. IMO a dog is part of the family and should be treated like one. It was 16 degrees outside last night here and the people who live next door to my bil had both their two dogs out in the cold. My bil told me he never sees them take the dogs inside.
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KikiB85
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Id be calling animal services. It's one thing to have your dog's generally outside. People do it bit have dog houses and such. Just leaving them out there with nothing is cruel. My doggy sleeps with me and I am moving his cage out of the laundry room bc I feel like that room is even too cold. (Not that hes locked up all that much but I still feel bad.) I put towels in his cage but he just chews them lol so I'm moving the cage.
anotherandree
by Inga on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

That's just terrible!  Our pets have always been "part of the family."

This is my dog and I getting ready to nap last Christmas!

Part of the family...

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM
That is abuse. We had an outside dog with a nice house. When it was really cold she came in. When she got elderly she was inside all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bknotnobody
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I'd be calling animal control. With no proper shelter for the cold ass weather, that's abuse.

ZombieChicken
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm not against outside pets, however they need proper shelter. Not ssupplying basic needs is cruel.
srm8824
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Oh my... That is REALLY sad especially given the weather. My dogs/cats are like my family.

If someone decides to take a pet in then that means that they are agreeing to care for it. I don't understand how people do that! I would def. be calling animal control.

Jennybenny01
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Please call your animal control and report it. I don't know what state you live in but in my state it is illegal to have a dog chained up for more than a couple of hours. If that is not the case in your state you can at least report to animal control that the animal is chained up without shelter and at least start getting this documented. Poor doggie.

Bmat
by Barb on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

This is heartbreaking. The poor dogs. :(   I think that I would call the appropriate group especially in bad weather.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Outside pets can serve a vital purpose in someone's life, and still feel very much a part of the family.  My Newfoundland spends from about November-April as an outdoor dog.  She's more than equipped to deal with the cold, and her vital job is to protect our chickens from hungry winter scavengers.  She doesn't fair as well in the summer heat and ends up coming indoors for that season.

But obviously outdoor pets come with the caveat of proper care.  Some places have laws stating what conditions MUST be met to leave an animal outdoors.  They could require food and water that won't freeze, a dog house, some sort of shelter, etc.  Look up your local laws and if they are in violation report them.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Oh sheesh I knew this was gonna be the indoor outdoor thing.

Our dogs, when we had them- were born outside. They remained living there. In a very cozy house, together and were hearty breeds. 

Not everyone wants dogs in their house. Deal. They can still be part of the family. I'm not gonna argue to the death about it either. I likely won't be back lol.  --2 cents

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN