Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What would you do if someone else abandoned their child to you?? *UPDATE*

Posted by   + Show Post

MY daughter is 14, she always has friends come and go. Her one friend is maria, it's her best friend. She's a little hispanic girl with manners the size of earth. She is always thanking me, saying please and being appreciative of everything that is done for her. This little girl and my daughter started being best friends when they were seven years old, and they still are. Their both cheerleaders, they both play volleyball together. Their inseperable. I never thought much of Maria coming around and staying for days at a time. I just kind of assumed it was what kids did now a days. Last night Maria was up all night complaining her throat hurt and trust me this kid doesn't complain!!! I took her to to a quick care, and they only agreed to treat her as SELF PAY. They thru a huge fit b/c I couldn't get a hold of her mother. But they knew she desperatly needed treatment, she has severe strep throat.. The problem is on the way home I said Maria why can't we get ahold of your parents. She told me that they had went to Mexico to take care of her dying grandmother. This was 2 1/2 weeks ago.. The parents left me with no insurance, no clothes, no medicine, no school permission slips, NOTHING. They just dropped her off and said we have a family emergency we will be back in a week. Maria begged me not to call the cops or children and youth. So i told her I wouldn't but she needed to get a hold of her mom, that we need permission slips for medical treatment and for pick up at school. She tried all last night to get a hold of her, and couldn't. She and I both left about ten voicemails on the emergency number. I know her mother is in Mexico b/c the day she arrived, she had called to tell us that Maria had money on her for food. I'm starting to get really scared, that Maria'sparents abandoned her and went back to Mexico? Any opinions on this  especially for those that are hispanic and may understand this culture better?? Thank you ahead of time..

WE just left the ER. It was an interesting experience, they called the cops and CYS on us within minuetes after checking in for "questionable kidnapping" TRUE STORY.. I knew nothing, and I had nothing to give them for medical information.. We even showed them that we were trying to get ahold of the parents, but they assumed it was all a stunt...I guess?? Well the police come in with all intent of arresting me for kidnapping, I guess? Once the police and CYS all came in, we sat together and Maria spoke. They interogated her like crazy, at one point I Told the police officer enough was enough that him n I would go speak and he'd quit making her feel worthless.. I would honestly assume this man was racist b/c he kept saying let me guess your illegals and yada yada yada. I was livid, the lady from CYS was a sweetheart. After her n I talked she said that she could stay with me at the time being until the mother and father could be reached, then we would have to figure out the next step..Another cop came in, he was a seargent and I explained things to him. He had told methat Maria herself was indeed a legal citizen of the U.S, but he is led to believe her father is not.. If this is the case he said sometimes in poorer cultures they will allow their child to be left with someone to avoid them going to live in a poorer country.. He said not that he agrees with it, but he actually sees it all the time..He said in poor/poverty countries they give their child up to live a better life in the states. He did not know this, and said he would investigate it and let me know tomorow what he finds out. He himself was hispanic, so i'm pretty sure he understands the culture and Mexico a lotbetter then I do. They gave me some sort of temporary custody, where I have permission to take her to the doctors, ER and anything regarding school.. He said they will track down her mom and and find out the real story tomorow morning. AT this point in time Maria was hooked to antibiotics,and fluids with a 105 fever.. The nursing staff even came in and apologized for the misunderstanding but they have to do their job and i'm glad I live in a community where they put the children first. I am not angry by any means other then the first D head police officer.. Tomorow I should have more of an update. Maria is soundly asleep in my daughters room. DH and I are putting in bunk beds tomorow for the girls. By the sounds of it we will have her for a little while, possibly even permanent. Maria does not want to go to Mexico, she was balling and begging me not to let this happen. Ofcourse I am not her mother, and this choice will not be mine. More updates tomorow!!

UPDATE: Maria leaves friday morning to move down to Mexico with her parents.. This was no my choice or decision by any means. The police called me this morning to come into the station to speak with Maria's mother. There was a translator there who helped with communication between Maria's mother and I. Maria's mother stated that the american people are just becoming to rough to be around, and she fills as though Maria is becoming more american then Hispanic. Her and her grandmother agreed that she needs to be in Mexico around her people and her culture.. I begged her mother to allow her to stay the rest of the year and in the summer we'd bring her down. They refused over and over again saying it won't be any easier in the summer then it would be right now. I tried to get an attorney and of course he told me I was wasting my time that I am not her biological parents I have no action in this.. I broke the news to Maria who went ballistic, she was screaming and balling. I told her at eighteen she was more and welcome to come back and stay with us and she put her head down and said I won't be the same Maria by then. When I asked her what that meant, she said in the town she is from only the strong survive. She said usually you wind up involved in the drug business or prostitution. I told Maria she has to believe in her self that she will not become that way, she put her head down and said do you know what this town will do to someone like me? She said they hate american Hispanics.. They hate us, they will hate me and beat on me. They will destroy me. Maria started balling and she said Lucy I'm not from Mexico, I am american. She begged me to do something, but after four calls to four different lawyers not one of them was willing to take my case.. Friday morning at seven a.m. we take her to the airport, where she will head back home to Mexico.. She has been balling non stop holding my daughter, she looked at me and said i'll probably never see you guys again, thanks for everything you did for me. She hugged, told us each she loved us and has been in her and my daughters room crying since the news. I checked on her, and she was texting Angelina her sister begging her sister to call mama and chance her mind. Prayers that just may-be her mom and dad will allow her to stay with us. The home they have in Mexico is a dirt home, literally made of dirt floors. Her grandparents live in extreme poverty and that is where Maria will be staying until summer.. PRayers that just may-be Maria won't have to go friday, and if she does have to go PRAY that she will survive down there.. This is one heartbreaking thanksgiving for everyone in our home.. :(

On the place Maria and Juan go. We will not know anything for a few days.. All we know is Juan has not seen or spoken to his family in six years, and this is all goign to be shocking.. Jass(my sister) and I are going to clean up his parents house b/c regardless that will be his permanent resisdence.. .. Praying praying praying..........

Update: Maria's parents called Juan at last minuete, they agreed to give custody over to Juan with the exception for a month outta every summer Maria comes and stays with them.. Juan asked Maria and maria put her head down and shook her head yes that's fine. We have been so busy getting Juan and MArias's home ready that I haven't been able to update. Juan already got accepted into our police around here, but he told them he had to give NY a month notice. They understand, and she will be with us until middle January. Juan will come and stay with us for Christmas though. Juan and Maria had a long talk about their Mexican Culture, and made her promise that when she goes to Mexico, not to act too American or her parents may change their mind. The end of next week Juan goes and finish's paper work for custody.. So far everything is going great, Maria feels a little guilty b/c she thinks her parents hate her but she said this is what she wants more then anything.. Juan is defaintly Maria's rock right now though all of this.. Make it all the more better, my sister and Juan went out to supper last night together.. So everything may work out better then planned, Juan may wind up a permanent part of our family... :)

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
onethentwins
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM

What happens if it goes untreated?

Quoting lilmama8408:

You need antibiotics for strep.

Quoting onethentwins:

Not only would I be worried that CPS might take her and put her in Foster Care, I'd also worried that she might be illegal and if the authorities got a hold of her they might send her back to Mexico. 

Strep throat. Is there an over the counter medicine for that? As for the school note, can you fake it?

leanntx
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM
That's so sad, though it's good to know she has someone like you and your family.

Quoting LucyCasner:

I just told Maria that we needed to try her mom again, and she said ok. She dialed it and once again voicemail picked up. Somuch is going thru my mind what if they abandoned her, what if they died. They come from a very terrible terrible part of Mexico. But the thing about it is Maria doesn't seem concerned, she seems so content with me and the kids. I'm wondering how rotten her life really is with her family?

Quoting leanntx:

If you don't hear from the parents within 24 hours, call children's services and try to find out if there is any way you can get at least temporary custody.

Chelsey191
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Honestly, I would call cps or the local police and tell them, Maria's family is in Mexico, caring for a sick relative, Maria is staying with you, her mom didn't leave any paper work giving you permissions and Maria is quite sick. You have been unable to contact her mom and need to know what you can do to get her medical help. I wouldn't assume she had been abandoned after all your daughter has known her for 7 years. I'd be concerned that something may have happened to them. As for not checking in, well I don't think it's responsible, I can see that after 7 years her parents probably trust you quite a bit. It's a possibility they just trust you with her and are focusing on other things. Again, I don't condone it but I just want to point out there are other things that could be going on besides them abandoning their dd.
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM
My fil went deaf in one ear from it being untreated and hes hard of hearing in the other ear

Quoting onethentwins:

What happens if it goes untreated?

Quoting lilmama8408:

You need antibiotics for strep.

Quoting onethentwins:

Not only would I be worried that CPS might take her and put her in Foster Care, I'd also worried that she might be illegal and if the authorities got a hold of her they might send her back to Mexico. 

Strep throat. Is there an over the counter medicine for that? As for the school note, can you fake it?

VickyJoJo
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Good luck.  Post an update when you can.  I sincerely hope the situation is not as it seems and it is just a misunderstanding about her care.  But you are doing the right thing to not only protect Maria but to protect you and your family from potential legal issues.

Quoting LucyCasner:

Alright, i'm going to call them.. I really hope this doesn't go south on me..

luvemboth
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Thanks for the update. You all have had quite the day! So glad Marie has you and your family. Hope it all works out for the best & you get some answers soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyCasner
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 6:34 PM

the police officer and CYS officer stated that they aren't sure this is going to be able to be a permanent thing. She said stuff like this gets super sketchy. I know Maria has an older sister who lives about four states away, a suggestion was her helping us out. But when Maria called her she said I have no money to give you and Maria said Angelina this isn't about the money and angelina hung up.. So her older sister is our next option on getting answers. 

Quoting luvemboth:

Thanks for the update. You all have had quite the day! So glad Marie has you and your family. Hope it all works out for the best & you get some answers soon!

MyDiwa
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Oh my gosh! How terrible! It makes me wonder like you said, how things really are with Maria's family. She sounds like a really wonderful little girl and I hope it all gets worked out for you both soon. I can't imagine how scared and abandoned she must be feeling ...at 14! Between her parents and whatever's going on with them and her sister shutting her out and showing no concern, I feel so sad for her.

I do want to say though that thank you for being a loving presence for her. No matter how things work out, what you're doing for her right now will stay with her for the rest of her life and you will probably never really get how significant it all is in her life and how she turns out. So thank you for being one of the good angels. God bless.

Quoting LucyCasner:

the police officer and CYS officer stated that they aren't sure this is going to be able to be a permanent thing. She said stuff like this gets super sketchy. I know Maria has an older sister who lives about four states away, a suggestion was her helping us out. But when Maria called her she said I have no money to give you and Maria said Angelina this isn't about the money and angelina hung up.. So her older sister is our next option on getting answers. 

Quoting luvemboth:Thanks for the update. You all have had quite the day! So glad Marie has you and your family. Hope it all works out for the best & you get some answers soon!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM
These parents can get in trouble. Unreal. At 52 I would be leary of taking in a teenager. One of my dd's friends lived at our house 3 months after she graduated. That was enough. We said never again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IamMex11
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM
I am just thankful she has you and your daughter
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)