Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

educational ideas for bday/christmas gifts????

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM
  • 6 Replies

Sitting here trying to make a list of gifts for my daughters bday in December (turning 8) and for christmas. My mom is getting her a kindle and I am thinking some inline skates and was wondering if there is some kind of educational books or something I could put on this list. She is in the second grade and she is a bright girl but she hasstruggled just a little this year with the common core changes. Looking for ideas for math and reading help! Suggestions?????

by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Common Core sucks, lol, but you may be able to find some good math workbooks to help her out, or something specific to what she's struggling with, like multiplication flash cards if that's her weakness, fraction blocks if she has issues with that, etc. You may even want to ask her teacher for recommendations?

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Nov. 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I love to do board games and card games for help with math.  For reading besides just buying books there are lots of computer games that help with and encourage reading. 

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM
The kindle will help! Free apps on Amazon are amazing. Love the kindle! Or an amazon gift card to buy books n games.

Any book series she likes?
Puzzles or games?
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 4:26 PM

What types of things is she into?  Try to find books on real princesses or horses or whatever real life things she is into for reading books. At this age almost all the books geared for 8 yr olds have some educational value though it may not be obvious to us.

precious54
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM

computer

AbbyWalsh
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Is she interested in learning to play an instrument?  Guitars and electronic keyboards are good options - not overly expensive for beginnners, don't take up too much room, and aren't too loud (electronic keyboards and electric guitars can be practiced while wearing headphones).

Learning to read music and play an instrument will help with math and language skills.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)