Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

any help I have a 16 month old boy who is always throwing tantrums

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM
  • 12 Replies

I have noticed that with everybody else my son is very quiet he doesnt cry yell or scream like he does at home it has really gotten worse every sense I found out I am pregnant I am almost 3 months and I am trying to keep it together I try my hardest to let him know when its time to go to bed and when its time to play When I do this his father comes in the room and picks him up I tell him to stop and let him be he only does this for attention he wants that attention I dont believe in picking him up so much and when other people do it I dont like it one bit I am trying to get him to learn how to to self soothe but when his father comes in he messes it up because when our son sees his daddy he starts grabbing for him he  picks him up he stops crying  then when he puts him down he starts crying all over again it takes me over an hour to calm him down  I lose sleep because of it All I am trying to do is to get our son to learn how to sleep in his own bed in another room and its been hell doing that ANY ADVICE?????

by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1. Kids don't learn self- soothing until 4 or 5.
2. The best way to foster independence is to meet your child's needs and pick them up when they cry
4. Create a bed time routine. Try rocking him to sleep.
ElleLuvsOrchids
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Has it occured to you that he is not emotionally ready to sleep in his own bed in another room?  Each child is different and it sounds like he is telling you the only way he can that he isn't ready.  We intended to sleep our DD in a basinette and then transition to a crib.  We never got her to sleep in the basinette or the crib.  She five alarm freaked out when we tried to sleep her in another room and I (alone, not with hubs) ended up co-sleeping with her.  It wasn't what we planned, but it turned out fine and worked for us.  One of my best friends had a baby a month later than I and she planned to co-sleep with her DS.  Turned out he and she slept best separate... no fuss not muss.  Is it possible that your need for more/better quality sleep is making you push him to sleep in his bed/crib in another room before he is really ready emotionally?

sparkle.ana
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
He isn't ready to sleep in his own room. You can continue to try and force the issue, or let him do what he has been until now. He'll transition when he is ready. Self soothing isn't going to happen, he's not even two years old yet. All he knows is he cries and doesn't get what he needs. The only way you'll really get him to sleep somewhere else though, is to make sure you stick to your bedtime routine, whatever that might be.
SheppardsLife
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM

My son was the same way. The tantrums would keep him and everyone else awake for hours before he would fall asleep. Picking him up to "soothe" him did not help. He slept in my room with me until he was nearly 2. Not every child is this way but parents whose children don't work themselves up this way don't understand. You have to make sure all his needs are met, that he's safe and then let him cry. Supernanny has a great method http://www.supernanny.com/TV-Show/Clips/Clips/Sleep-Separation-Technique.aspx

proudmom2be0829
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Quoting Retrokitty:

1. Kids don't learn self- soothing until 4 or 5.
2. The best way to foster independence is to meet your child's needs and pick them up when they cry
4. Create a bed time routine. Try rocking him to sleep.

sorry but some of this doesn't work I have tried it all and still nothing I just want him to sleep in his own room the way he does when he is when he is at his Dads house Its not a transition its not new to him he has done it before he has just been throwing tantrums when he has to go to bed

proudmom2be0829
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I understand that but here is the thing I make sure that all his needs are met and he is safe he sleeps in his own bed its just when he sees me or his dad he goes crazy and starts crying all over again for us to pick him up and I'm trying to do what his doctor says by not doing that let him cry it out when I have done any and everything I can possibly think of but nothing seems to work

Quoting SheppardsLife:

My son was the same way. The tantrums would keep him and everyone else awake for hours before he would fall asleep. Picking him up to "soothe" him did not help. He slept in my room with me until he was nearly 2. Not every child is this way but parents whose children don't work themselves up this way don't understand. You have to make sure all his needs are met, that he's safe and then let him cry. Supernanny has a great method http://www.supernanny.com/TV-Show/Clips/Clips/Sleep-Separation-Technique.aspx

proudmom2be0829
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM

this clip really helped but will it actually work on my 15 month old?

Quoting proudmom2be0829:

I understand that but here is the thing I make sure that all his needs are met and he is safe he sleeps in his own bed its just when he sees me or his dad he goes crazy and starts crying all over again for us to pick him up and I'm trying to do what his doctor says by not doing that let him cry it out when I have done any and everything I can possibly think of but nothing seems to work

Quoting SheppardsLife:

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I liked the book healthy sleep habits. Happy child. Check it out of your library or buy it. It has great info til they are 5-6 yrs old. 

Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:45 PM

My 16 month old has been insane lately with her tantrums--and 90% of them are at home.  The terrible twos have definitely hit here!

the.warden
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this
My ds is 5 and still sleeps in my bed some nights. He has really bad night terrors and when they started he wouldn't sleep in his bedroom anymore. So I moved his toddler bed in our room. Some nights I wake up and he's in bed with me and some nights he's still sleeps in his own bed.

When he was an small toddler I put him to sleep when he was drowsy and he went to sleep on his own. I didn't try to sooth him to sleep because I wanted him to get used to being able to fall asleep on his own. I said it's bedtime and he would stop what he was doing and walk in his room so I could out him to bed.

Try setting a routine. It's extremely helpful.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN