Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like s***

Posted by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM
  • 14 Replies
Christmas will be almost non-existent, gift wise. We budgeted for gifts, but between moving, my hours being cut to nothing, and problems with both mine and my boyfriend's personal vehicles, WE won't be providing much of anything in the way of gifts. We gave my daughter a case for her phone (I'm in contract, and paid up for two months) that we bought on Black Friday. We still plan on getting one gift a piece for his children, but nothing else will be possible until about the end of next month.

I know circumstances suck, and even though we planned ahead, we couldn't stop the snowball effect. After Christmas vacation I'm going to have to take my work issues to corporate. (Long story about discrimination for me being pregnant.) We don't want help, but I can't stop myself from feeling like crap. No, none of this was my fault, or my boyfriend's. Stuff happens, and it stinks. At least there will be gifts from (some) family, and the main celebration will be faith-based, but still...my boyfriend and I both feel like we failed even though we didn't. We took all the proper steps, and things still blew up in our faces.

I don't think there's any advice to be given, but I really needed to vent...it helps to get it out. Thanks if you actually read all of this. :-/
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
a_and_j_momma
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:18 AM
It isn't about gifts or how many you can give or they get. Can you make homemade gifts, together?
Red_Tempest
by Ginny on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Oh, we know it's not about gifts,I just feel bad because this had never happened before. We've made some cards and whatnot. (I'm not very crafty, so we don't have a lot of supplies, lol, but my daughter is a pretty good artist with construction paper, crayons, and glue. :-)

Quoting a_and_j_momma: It isn't about gifts or how many you can give or they get. Can you make homemade gifts, together?
Jellyfishlion
by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:05 AM
I know it's not gift based, BUUUUT you can still go to a local church, Salvation Army, Social services... Good luck! Keep us posted!
Red_Tempest
by Ginny on Dec. 18, 2013 at 7:54 AM
My boyfriend and I talked about getting help, but our trip back home for the week of Christmas is already paid for, so we won't even be here. We explained things to my daughter last night, and she was overjoyed with the case for her phone, and said,"Well, life happens right, mom? Besides...there's always my birthday." And she gave us both big hugs. I figure of she can have that attitude about it,i shouldn't feel guilty. I guess it's probably just because this hasn't happened before.

Quoting Jellyfishlion: I know it's not gift based, BUUUUT you can still go to a local church, Salvation Army, Social services... Good luck! Keep us posted!
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Aww, hugs to you.  I hope things start to look up for you soon. 

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I can understand why you feel so badly BUT Christmas should be about shared experience, good company, drinking hot choc together, looking at lights, going to church if you do, baking stuff with the kids, being grateful for what you do have. You may actually be doing the kids a huge favor by letting them not get spoiled. You are also setting a GREAT example by not going into debt just to buy STUFF.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry.   :(

MiriRose923
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I'm so sorry... I know that the stress of gift-giving can really be a burden this time of year.  Just read your update and was touched by your daughter's reaction -- how wonderful!!  I do hope that you enjoy your time with your family and it's a wonderful celebration for all of you.  Hugs and blessings!

Red_Tempest
by Ginny on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this
We are definitely looking forward to the family time. Our trip back home is planned and paid for, so we will have plenty of that between my family and my boyfriend's. I'll be helping both sides with Christmas dinner, and so will my daughter. :-) I look forward to that every year, regardless.

Quoting Lindalou907:

I can understand why you feel so badly BUT Christmas should be about shared experience, good company, drinking hot choc together, looking at lights, going to church if you do, baking stuff with the kids, being grateful for what you do have. You may actually be doing the kids a huge favor by letting them not get spoiled. You are also setting a GREAT example by not going into debt just to buy STUFF.

Red_Tempest
by Ginny on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I'll be honest,I was very surprised with her reaction. I mean, she knows this isn't normal, and she knows she'll be getting gifts from family, but she's been asking for certain gifts for Christmas for months...just like she's already asking for birthday gifts (in July), so this was unexpected. We're still going home for Christmas, so we'll be with both my family and my boyfriend's, so that helps. At least we can spend it with family. :-)

Quoting MiriRose923:

I'm so sorry... I know that the stress of gift-giving can really be a burden this time of year.  Just read your update and was touched by your daughter's reaction -- how wonderful!!  I do hope that you enjoy your time with your family and it's a wonderful celebration for all of you.  Hugs and blessings!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured