Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

He's so mean to the cat

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 5 Replies
I recently moved in with my parent's and they have a cat, before my son was so nice to her. Now he is mean, he sits on her and tries to pull her fur out. How do I get him to stop? I can't get rid of the cat since it is my mom's and he is two and not listening very well when I explain why he needs to be nice.
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
terpmama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Consistancy... Or let the cat take a swipe at him

Bknotnobody
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Spray him with a water bottle? I'm kidding, idk. Just be consistent with teaching him to be nice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Get over the idea that he needs to understand why. All he needs to understand right now is that he doesn't like the consequences. Watch him very carefully and stop him before he reaches the cat. Sternly correct him and put him in a time out for a few minutes. Do this every time. If he gets to the cat before you cab stop him, make the time out longer.

At the same time, make sure you compliment and reward him frequently when he's doing the right thing. A move can be really hard for little guys. The structure of getting attention for being good and getting time outs for acting out helps the adjustment go more easily.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM

It could be just the change in his life, with moving and all. Try to keep them separated, tell him if he hurts the kitty he has to do a 2 minute time out, tell him the cat LIKES him but it won't anymore if he keeps bothering it. Maybe you can find a childrens book about cats.

Bleacheddecay
by on Dec. 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Never, ever let him have access to the cat without supervision. Help him touch gently. If you don't supervise adequately one or both could be seriously hurt. Distract, Prevent, and Give Consistent Consequences over and over until the child learns.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)