Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I do with my kids who have none-stop craving for sweets?

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM
  • 40 Replies

My husband just tossed our left-over cake, cupcakes and gifts from others.  We usually have few sweets at home.  They get one candy a day.  For this time of the year, they want nothing but cake, candy, soda.  What do you do to curb their craving?

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Fruit will curb the craving and also provide nutrition.

JingD
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:28 PM

We had a huge bowl of fruit salad with melon, pineapple, oranges and grapes at the party yesterday.  My kids usually love fruit.  But in front of cake, cupcake, peach cobbler, they didn't even touch the fruit salad. It is all about temptation.

Quoting Bmat:

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Ah! I see.  You meant if there were sweets around that they could choose instead of fruit. Yes this would be a problem.

Quoting JingD:

We had a huge bowl of fruit salad with melon, pineapple, oranges and grapes at the party yesterday.  My kids usually love fruit.  But in front of cake, cupcake, peach cobbler, they didn't even touch the fruit salad. It is all about temptation.

Quoting Bmat:

JingD
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM

At least my daughter knows well sweets are not healthy food to eat.  But she can't control herself.

Quoting Bmat:

Ah! I see.  You meant if there were sweets around that they could choose instead of fruit. Yes this would be a problem.

Quoting JingD:

Quoting Bmat:

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Introduce them to sweet fruits. My family always taught me to have fruit first and then a sweet.  We never put both othe table.

valrubio
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
We never give our kids soda or sugar drinks. We only allow cake and cookies sort of things on special occasions. My kids eat homemade meals with healthy meat and lots of vegetables. My kids actually get sick sometimes when they are given candy. I would not be giving sweets daily.
Lynette
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I don't keep sweets or soda in the house. But i keep Plenty of fresh fruit around.
JingD
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I will remember no fruit and sweets on the table at the same time. It is hard to make hte right choice.

Quoting emarin77:

Introduce them to sweet fruits. My family always taught me to have fruit first and then a sweet.  We never put both othe table.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM
We don't buy soda at all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JingD
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

We have no other drinks except water and milk at home.  When there is a party, we have other choices.  It is not often.  But I still want them to learn to make the right choice.

Quoting valrubio: We never give our kids soda or sugar drinks. We only allow cake and cookies sort of things on special occasions. My kids eat homemade meals with healthy meat and lots of vegetables. My kids actually get sick sometimes when they are given candy. I would not be giving sweets daily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured