Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What was your last cooking fail?

Posted by   + Show Post

I tried making fudge this evening and as usual it didn't come out well.  I think I have to blame the pan.. or that I didn't use a candy thermometer. But really, when the name of the recipe is Can't Fail Fudge... then how can I not be successful. :(

What was your last cooking fail?

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Replies (101-110):
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Oh no!!! And hard to get off the pan, I imagine, unless you were using parchment paper?

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

not the slightest bit... :( the spread out so thin that it was like rocky road brittle and burnt :(

Quoting Bmat:

How did they come out? Were they edible?

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

My last cooking was actually a baking fail.... I was making rocky road cookies and I misread the recipe and put the marshmallows in with the dough and finished mixing it... well.... it wasn't supposed to be like that... you were supposed to put 5 marshmallows in middle right before putting them into the oven.

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM

What a shame!  I hope you are feeling much better now. I've never tried a fresh ham. It is too bad it was for a holiday. :( 

Quoting Lil_Wolf:

Christmas ham. I bought a fresh ham instead of a smoked one without thinking. I wasn't feeling well & needed to sit/lay down before I fell or got sick all over the store so I just grabbed a ham. I spent *all* day just cooking the ham itself & the flavor didn't go deeper than the very outsid layer. The rest was like sandwhich meat ham. Grrr.

MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM
A cheesy chicken rice casserole thing I found in Pinterest..... Yeah. It looked great online. Followed the instructions and it looked and smelled like vomit. Pizza it is! Lol

When I screw up it's always huge!
Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

ewww. It doesn't sound appealing after your experience. :(

Quoting MumsTheWord571: A cheesy chicken rice casserole thing I found in Pinterest..... Yeah. It looked great online. Followed the instructions and it looked and smelled like vomit. Pizza it is! Lol

When I screw up it's always huge!

Lil_Wolf
by New Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Thank you. It comes & goes as I am 20wks pregnant due May 11th with our firstborn. I just have to learn my limits. I can't make a perfect meal everytime I'm in the kitchen. I am human after all. lol Hope your Christmas went/is going well.

Quoting Bmat:

What a shame!  I hope you are feeling much better now. I've never tried a fresh ham. It is too bad it was for a holiday. :( 

Quoting Lil_Wolf:

Christmas ham. I bought a fresh ham instead of a smoked one without thinking. I wasn't feeling well & needed to sit/lay down before I fell or got sick all over the store so I just grabbed a ham. I spent *all* day just cooking the ham itself & the flavor didn't go deeper than the very outsid layer. The rest was like sandwhich meat ham. Grrr.

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Morning sickness came and went with me also. :)  Thank you. Christmas Day went well, and now I am getting ready for another family get together to exchange gifts. :)

Quoting Lil_Wolf:

Thank you. It comes & goes as I am 20wks pregnant due May 11th with our firstborn. I just have to learn my limits. I can't make a perfect meal everytime I'm in the kitchen. I am human after all. lol Hope your Christmas went/is going well.

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting Lil_Wolf:

casseopeia
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I made cooked carrot pennies using the recipe on the bag of the bag of heirloom carrots and it was horrible.  the carrots were sort of chewy even after I cooked them to death.  I think it was the variety of carrot that does not cook up well.

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Super easy to make and yummy.

Quoting Bmat:

Hot cocoa cookies is one I haven't heard of, but I can picture it- chocolate with marshmallows on top. :)

Quoting tyfry7496: I made hot cocoa cookies and they glued to the cookie sheet. The marshmallows sunk to the bottom of the dough. Scraped them off and redid them, putting the marshmallows in top the last few minutes of cooking. Those turned out great!

I don't mess up very often though.

1frog
by Bronze Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Regular oatmeal, for 1 lb. of ground beef I normally need 2/3 to 1 cup to bind it together. I know what you mean about the kitties. Mine are 7 years apart, and the younger one has always loved to torment the older one. but he gets even once in a while! Isn't that what little brothers or sisters do? Torment the older ones!

Quoting Bmat:

I like the idea of using oatmeal. Do you use quick or regular?  The kitty is well-loved. Except by the older cat who is tormented by the little one. The kitten wants to play, so he hops over the older cat and over and over and over. LOL!!

Quoting 1frog:

I use oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs, and the rest is the usual. I tried the onion soup mix once or twice and agree, it isn't as good. Good for your son getting a rescue kitty! He looks very well cared for and loved. Enjoy him!

Quoting Bmat:

The white kitty is my son's.  The kitty is a Manx, and is white with blue eyes, and is deaf. My son rescued him.  Thank you. He's a fun kitty.

Oh no about the meatloaf! My husband's favorite meal is meatloaf. I've been trying adding onion soup mix to the ground meat, but I think it was better when I chopped onion and added an egg and breadcrumbs.

Quoting 1frog:

Love the Kitty! Is she yours? My last cooking fail was making meatloaf of all things. I was trying to teach my husband who didn't know my secret (there isn't one, it's just standard). But when I went to take it out it had been overcooked a bit and stuck to the pan, so it was only about half as high as it was supposed to be. My husband, being sweet, dug a lot of it out of the pan and ate that. It wasn't really burned, just stuck. Weird and embarrasing.

JALang6
by Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Peanut brittle that somehow became caramel like! It tasted amazing but did NOT have the texture of peanut brittle!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured