Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help my one year old bites

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM
  • 14 Replies
My one year old son has started to bite but he only bites me nobody else. I have tried telling him no firmly tapping his hand and tapping his mouth but nothing is seeming to work. Can any of you ladies help me? Have you done anything that worked? Thank you :)
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof11050307
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:07 AM
is he teething? my 13 month old bites when shes cutting teeth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssa.janaye
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM
No he's not. He does it out of anger
emmy526
by Gold Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM

nothing is going to work magically overnite to cure biting...just keep doing what your'e doing..after a while, he'll get it...also when he bites, say 'ouch' very loudly, touch his mouth, and firmly say, 'NO BITING, THAT HURTS MOMMY" and walk away and ignore him for a minute or two.  

sugarsmom2
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM

sometimes you have to bite him back and then he will stop . i had to with my son . 

Bleacheddecay
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Just continue to be firm and consistent. I don't agree with biting back.

MommyT642
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM

i use thumping. its enought to cause a slight pain and get the point across without hurting him alot. My 17 month old tries to bite my legs and knees. while he is attempting this i thump him on the forehead and say , loudly "don't bite". Yes he does cry. it does hurt, but he gets the point and it doesn't happen often.

Pnukey
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Give him something else to bite on.

Bieg9093
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Push into the bite.  It hurts you more but will give him the sensation of biting more than he can handle. 

saysmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM

My little one went through that. She would bite me, her dad, sister and cousins. She would bite her cousin on the face and it would bruise. She was never mad or angry when she did it, we think she done it out of excitement. It was before she could really communicate with us. I tried everything from biting back, spanking, time out, ignoring, putting her Gand on my face and rubbing to teach her how to be gentle. Nothing worked and it lasted for a few months. She quit right after she turned two. Don't really have any advice because nothing worked for me but giving it time. Everything us a phase and will pass!!!!!!

Momofmenagerie
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Okay there's not quite enough info here. I can 't tell the emotions you see when it happens...

BUT with my one yr old started it, it was always in the middle of affection. A hug ended with a chomp only shoulder. Crawling in my lap included a good zombie bite on my leg.

Suddenly, it occurred to me while putting lotion on him, I pretend to eat his feet and hands which makes them all laugh, right? Seems he was attempting to emulate the same affection I did naturally to him except he had no clue of a fake. " lip bite" vs a full on chomp.

First I lowered that type of play. Then any affection we had started with " be careful! Teeth are for food. Mommy is not food.... " it took some time ... And he still goes for his brother if not reminded beforehand.

Many bite our of frustration, however that was not my experience.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)