Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is the next step for potty training?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM
  • 5 Replies
He'll be 3 in one month and has been wearing underpants for a month and a half. Still doesn't tell us when he has to go but willingly uses toilet for #1. Uses a diaper for #2 then is put back in underwear.(because he was holding it in and wouldn't go on potty for #2) What's the next step? When also do we start to bring him to the toilet in middle of the night? Thanks PIOG
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

If he is not telling you when to go he is not potty trained. Sorry.  If he can't tell you then he does not recognize the need to go yet.  You just trained yourself. (:  I never woke my kids in the middle of the night...they woke up if they needed to go.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

sarahfaith123
by Sarah on Dec. 30, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Haha, oh alright. That's annoying, then. Do you think he'll start telling us soon? I'd hate to go back to a diaper.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

If he is not telling you when to go he is not potty trained. Sorry.  If he can't tell you then he does not recognize the need to go yet.  You just trained yourself. (:  I never woke my kids in the middle of the night...they woke up if they needed to go.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I am firm believer in child led weaning.  My oldest potty trained at 3 years. We had it all down by end of the week.  He would tell us from the start when he had to go.  We just followed his lead. He actually told us he was ready to use the big potty.

Quoting sarahfaith123: Haha, oh alright. That's annoying, then. Do you think he'll start telling us soon? I'd hate to go back to a diaper.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

tyfry7496
by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
He's using the potty to pee on his own- he does NOT need a diaper. As for the pooping, keep the diaper off and take him to the potty once in a while. You can usually tell when a child has to poop. Some "hide", some will squat, some grab their butt or tummy. He is almost there!! Pooping is hard to control for some kids.

As for middle of the night, do not wake him.
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this

Quoting tyfry7496: He's using the potty to pee on his own- he does NOT need a diaper. As for the pooping, keep the diaper off and take him to the potty once in a while. You can usually tell when a child has to poop. Some "hide", some will squat, some grab their butt or tummy. He is almost there!! Pooping is hard to control for some kids.

As for middle of the night, do not wake him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)