• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthday Wishlist Rude or Helpful?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:55 PM
  • 9 Replies

So my daughter is turning 3 in Feb and we are planning her birthday. I did very small birthdays for her first two cause frankly she wasn't going to remember them, but this year she is becoming a new big sister (also in Feb) and she is at the age where she would really understand a special day just for her. Anyways we did a registry for our baby shower when i had it and hubs said why don't we take bailey to Walmart and let her make a small one for her birthday. I'm on both ends of the fence on this. I personally wouldn't find it rude if another child at that age where they could pick out toys had a gift registry and it would help a lot from getting constant calls about what she would like and getting duplicate toys and such which can be embarrassing. If we did, i planed on the price range of the wish-list to be between $5.00-$25.00 dollars for every ones budget, me and hubs would obviously get the "big" gifts, and our family knows us well enough that a gift is NEVER expected just to come. I also have a lot of out of town family this would be convenient for. However I'm worried someone would take it offensive or rude. If i did do one what is a way to word it? i was thinking something like "If wanting to bring a thoughtful gift and not sure what to get check out baileys Wish-list at Walmart."

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
amberNewman0213
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM

bump

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I told people if they asked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:20 PM
I would find it helpful. When my boys were little they were always getting gifts they already had. So now my mother only buys clothes a wishlist would have been a good idea to prevent confusion. Especially to family that doesn't live near by.

My kids do wishlist on Amazon but only I can see the list.
amberNewman0213
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM

yea, and i would just suggest toys but bailey is the baby of the family, hubs is the youngest on his side and i am the youngest on my side. aside from my nephew who is a few months old. so toys have changed since my our family last bought them. 10 years ago you could of said dollhouse. now is like princess pony palace, barbie dream house, monster high high school mansion, bratz party mansion, lala loopsy house, calico critters, barbie vacation house, disney princess castle, etc. My family would have no idea what any of that is lol where as when i was little it was barbies or baby dolls and with hubs it was hot wheels or legos you know?

Also a lot of toys (like the monstor high dolls) scare my daughter to death yet they are very popular. also those realistic mechanial babies that move around or something like that, or ferbys do that to.

Quoting DACIA79: I would find it helpful. When my boys were little they were always getting gifts they already had. So now my mother only buys clothes a wishlist would have been a good idea to prevent confusion. Especially to family that doesn't live near by.

My kids do wishlist on Amazon but only I can see the list.

Bmat
by Barb on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Only for family and close friends who asked. Or for a party where schoolmates were invited, for example,  only if their parents asked.

Katt709
by Katharine on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:07 PM
I keep a running amazon wish list for each if my kids. I send out emails with the links to those that ask. I've always been told it's convenient. I make sure to tell people it's just a guide. They're free to buy or not buy as they see fit. It's just easier for me.
amberNewman0213
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 8:11 PM

That's how i feel. now if there were people being invited who was not close family i wouldn't put it on their invitations and just let them call and id mention it. Our family and friends know our intentions would be to help them out. We also have a lot of couples we are friends with who have no children and would be clueless in a toy isle lol

Quoting Katt709: I keep a running amazon wish list for each if my kids. I send out emails with the links to those that ask. I've always been told it's convenient. I make sure to tell people it's just a guide. They're free to buy or not buy as they see fit. It's just easier for me.

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I think it is tacky if you send it with an invite but not rude if people ask for ideas
a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I think it is tacky if you send it with an invite but not rude if people ask for ideas
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)