Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Plus Sized Barbie

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:18 AM
  • 11 Replies

I just posted this in one of my other forums::

Soo, I just seen this this morn on one of the early morn shows:

Matel making a Plus Sized Barbie

What do you think of this???

I think this would be great. Teaches girls you don't have to look super duper thin and have a super thin waist, legs, and twig arms in  order to be pretty. I dare say it will be one step closer to the media taking responsibility to helping steer little girls away from terrible eating disorders. Something I've suffered from for over 15 yrs... :(

You're Always A Winner When You Do Your Very Best~way to go

by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RitaTequila531
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 7:20 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't think it's a good idea. I think we're relying too much on material things to teach independence, self-pride, empowerment and self-love in young girls.
It's a business. The company just wants to sell a product.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cuauhtemocsmom
by Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I personally don't like the one they put out there with the link dress. She just looks gross. I can see your point but for me it wasn't Barbie who made me body image conscious because to me it was a dumb doll. For me it was the super models! Cause those women are real. Im 30 and still try to stand up straight next to a magazine lol oh and to answer your question I don't think it's a good idea. Shouldn't parents be teaching body image, healthy habits.
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:49 AM
What's their idea of plus sized ? Would be my first question. My second would be is that how they will market the the doll on the shields? Plus -sized? A row of outfit designated to plus sized Barbie ? Will this BE BARBIE or a Barbie friend, older sister, mom?

I do think I ever, ever " compared " myself image to a doll. Sure I wanted her lifestyle... (she has EVERYTHING haha !)
I thought she was pretty .... But all my dolls and stuffed animals were pretty or " sweet, kind, grumpy" because I used my imagination and personified them. For instance Skipper was a BRAT in my head, and I had a " shy" blue elephant that would never sing. " happy birthday" to whichever toy's birthday it was and I 'd make him sing it alone after everyone else had ( hindsight, not very nice)

Anyhow, with the thousands of dolls market out there, some totally out of the "norm of beautiful", why is this a big deal when you can google " Barbie's measurements and explain she'd have to be seven feet tall and all the other impossibilities it would take and laugh you and your child's butt off over the goofiness of it all ?
a_and_j_momma
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I don't think they will really do it
snglemomto1grl
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I've heard of this more than once but it's never actually happened. yes, I do thing it's a good thing to teach girls that everyone is different and everyone is beautiful in their own way.

ShiylahsMommy
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:58 PM
I like it but I dont .what kind of pluss size is it? It really takes a lot sometimes to be plus size. I weighed 160 lbs and wasn't plus size? Being overweight is becoming a big problem and its so sad. Get your kids outside eat fruits and veggies and cook your own meals instead of buying frozen foods...

How about a healthy size barbie?

Ok ok I know sometimes its a "disease" they "can't help it". Maybe a barbie with that disease ? idk..... :\ sorry for the rant
sadeyez11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Is there a link for this. I'd like to see it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-PB
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm going to play devils advocate on this one....69% of adults over the age of 20 are overweight in the United States.  Only about 10 to 15% of people have an eating disorder.  I think it teaches that being plus sized is normal.  In the US, being fat is the norm but not normal in terms of being healthy.  I don't think that we should teach our children that being fat is ok just as we should not teach our children that they have to be unrealistically skinny.  Why can't they make a normal sized barbie?  "Plus sized" barbie is just as bad an idea as overly skinny barbie, if not worse given the statistics in this country.

holyhoola
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 3:51 AM

Mobile Photo

tifbrown
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM

How about they just take the average measurements for a woman, and give girls a realistic role model. I don't understand why there is such a struggle to grasp the concept.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured