Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

hospitalized child

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM
  • 11 Replies
What are my rights as a parent? Assuming no issue authority involvement (such as police or cps type stuff). Can they deny me at my child's bedside for any reason? What about withhold information? Require the parents to get certain vaccines?
by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AbbyWalsh
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:03 PM

The hospital will have a "Patient's Rights" document.  If you haven't been given a copy, ask for one.  If you feel you or your child are not being treated appropriately, speak with the patient advocate.

firespurity
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM
I have spoken to human resources. They've had a habit of telling me she's had no changes everyday. But she's had changes. The most shocking was that she had a staph infection and put on antibiotics for ten days. Each of those ten days a nurse was asked if she had any changes. Each day, nothing was mentioned. One the 11th day a nurse excitedly told us she had her antibiotics, which resulted in the conversation that revealed the lack of communication.

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

The hospital will have a "Patient's Rights" document.  If you haven't been given a copy, ask for one.  If you feel you or your child are not being treated appropriately, speak with the patient advocate.

AbbyWalsh
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:39 PM

My goodness, how long has she been in the hospital?  :(

What did the patient advocate say when you spoke with them?  (It's not the same thing as Human Resources).  

firespurity
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:41 PM
They were shocked. She's been in since birth, but at this hospital for a month and a half.

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

What did the patient advocate say when you spoke with them?  (It's not the same thing as Human Resources).  

143myboys9496
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Speak to a patient advocate. And demand/ask for a meeting with all her doctors, primary nurse, and any other services following her, like physical therapy, speech therapy, social services/case management. 

Sometimes smaller non-teaching hospitals lack the communication of larger teaching hospitals. Doesn't mean that's right, just that sometimes it happens. 

Since your dd is only 4, I can't imagine, why the communication would be so poor. They should be talking to you, before or as they're adding and discontiuning meds, and treatments from her care, as her parent you're her advocate/health care proxy, AKA 'next of kin'. 

Request a meeting with her team, and speak to a patient advocate. 

Good luck, hope she feels better soon.

Quoting firespurity: They were shocked. She's been in since birth, but at this hospital for a month and a half.

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:55 PM
I agree with requesting a meeting. Maybe the ethics board should be involved as well
AbbyWalsh
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Am I reading the comment correctly?  Has your daughter been in the hospital for 4 years?  :(

firespurity
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:47 AM
No, I'm talking about my 2 and a half months old. Maybe I had a typo, phones like to auto correct at the most insane times.

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

Am I reading the comment correctly?  Has your daughter been in the hospital for 4 years?  :(

firespurity
by Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 2:48 AM
That's what's throwing me off, she's at a major hospital.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Speak to a patient advocate. And demand/ask for a meeting with all her doctors, primary nurse, and any other services following her, like physical therapy, speech therapy, social services/case management. 

Sometimes smaller non-teaching hospitals lack the communication of larger teaching hospitals. Doesn't mean that's right, just that sometimes it happens. 

Since your dd is only 4, I can't imagine, why the communication would be so poor. They should be talking to you, before or as they're adding and discontiuning meds, and treatments from her care, as her parent you're her advocate/health care proxy, AKA 'next of kin'. 

Quoting firespurity: They were shocked. She's been in since birth, but at this hospital for a month and a half.

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

143myboys9496
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:00 AM

It might be an oversight, sometimes communication falls by the way-side. Request a team meeting, explaining you need to be updated and have some things explained to you. I'd also talk to a patient advocate in the meantime.

Quoting firespurity: That's what's throwing me off, she's at a major hospital.

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)