Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What do you think about CFL (swirly) lightbulbs?

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:26 PM
  • 109 Replies

I'm not convinced.  Although it appears that now I have no choice since incandescents are banned. From what I've experienced CFLs don't come on as quickly as incandescent bulbs, although the light is steady.  I understand they will save on electricity use. Most of all, though, I find it alarming about the dangers if one breaks and the steps needed to safely clean up the breakage.

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Raindelay
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I did not know about the danger of one breaking. I do know they are more energy efficient. But they are more expensive and in my experience don't last as long.

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I didn't know about the danger either. Definitely more expensive, but they do the job and I haven't noticed them needing replacing more frequently

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM

This is interesting that you found that they don't last as long. Part of the big deal about them is that they are longer lasting. I read that they can't be exposed to hot conditions, so recessed lighting may present a problem. It seems there are a number of problems not yet solved. The danger when breaking is because of the mercury in them, and the room must be vacated and aired out for a while and the clean up items gathered, then detailed instructions on how to clean up the breakage- not including vacuuming, which would put the mercury vapor into the air, and so forth.

Quoting Raindelay:

I did not know about the danger of one breaking. I do know they are more energy efficient. But they are more expensive and in my experience don't last as long.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Thank you for the feedback.  I wrote what I found about cleaning up breakage in the previous reply. I figure if (or when) I break one I'll come online and read what to do again.

Quoting Pukalani79:

I didn't know about the danger either. Definitely more expensive, but they do the job and I haven't noticed them needing replacing more frequently

Raindelay
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the info!

Quoting Bmat:

This is interesting that you found that they don't last as long. Part of the big deal about them is that they are longer lasting. I read that they can't be exposed to hot conditions, so recessed lighting may present a problem. It seems there are a number of problems not yet solved. The danger when breaking is because of the mercury in them, and the room must be vacated and aired out for a while and the clean up items gathered, then detailed instructions on how to clean up the breakage- not including vacuuming, which would put the mercury vapor into the air, and so forth.

Quoting Raindelay:

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I hate them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 9:58 PM
They're ok. When do they stop selling incandescents? I need to stock up on them since cfls don't produce heat.
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:00 PM
The light they give off is awful.., harsh, yet not bright...WHITE, muted is even more expensive.

I'm not convinced, at all. As far as I'm concerned these are still " beta test" and highly expensive ones at that..,, not to mention " forced" upon us ( as everything is starting to be now )

The concept is decent, but I really hate that my home is going to have. " office lighting "
:-/
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:23 PM
3 moms liked this
I think they're crap. There are other choices besides those but those are crap too. :-/ I find it ridiculous that the government has decided what I can light my home with. That's overstepping in my opinion.
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 10:25 PM
They quit selling them today. :-(

Quoting JasonsMom2007: They're ok. When do they stop selling incandescents? I need to stock up on them since cfls don't produce heat.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)