Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Our friend's son received the early acceptance from Harvard. We are truly happy

Posted by   + Show Post

for him and his family. My DH and I started talking about it. His competitiveness slipped out. He wants our kids to go to an Ivy League school as well. I will love that. But it doesn't bother me if they don't. What counts to me is that they try their best and reach their full potential. Does it matter to you which college your children will attend?

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:43 AM
Replies (21-30):
JingD
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:42 PM

It did? Strange. I didn't know there is an ad linked to my reply. I guess this is how the website supports itself.

Quoting Momofmenagerie: It 'a ironic that the ad that comes up on your post is about a college . Haha

godsgirl26
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM

This

Quoting Apgsteenmommy: No

JingD
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I agree with you.  I guess some people can argue going to an Ivy League school approves you have raised a potentially very productive member of the society. 

Quoting aurora.dove:

The only thing that matters to me is his happiness and that I am raising a productive member of society. Beyond that, I want  him to follow his dreams and become everything he wants to become!

JingD
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:46 PM

I don't disagree.  Some people can argue going to an Ivy League school just approves the parents have raised a potentially very productive member of the society.  What do you think of it?

Quoting godsgirl26:

This

Quoting Apgsteenmommy: No

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I would argue that productive doesn't mean rich. Restaurants and hotels need managers just as much as major corporations need CEO's, and courts need judges. Everyone who has a job and contributes somehow is a productive member of society in my opinion. Yes, some jobs may not pay as well as others, but if my son would rather be a musician than have a traditional job...I will encourage him to do so, or if he'd like to be a lawyer or doctor I will support him there as well. He's only two now, so we have a long way to go...but as of now he wants to be a fire fighter. They may not make as much money as a doctor, but are every bit as important!

Quoting JingD:

I agree with you.  I guess some people can argue going to an Ivy League school approves you have raised a potentially very productive member of the society. 

Quoting aurora.dove:

The only thing that matters to me is his happiness and that I am raising a productive member of society. Beyond that, I want  him to follow his dreams and become everything he wants to become!

JingD
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM

It is not all about money. There are Harvard graduates working in non-profit making very little money, compared to how much they paid for college. I am with you. If we can all contribute to the better of our society, it will be a much better place. There is only 1 Bill Gates. We are all doing our share.

Quoting aurora.dove:

I would argue that productive doesn't mean rich. Restaurants and hotels need managers just as much as major corporations need CEO's, and courts need judges. Everyone who has a job and contributes somehow is a productive member of society in my opinion. Yes, some jobs may not pay as well as others, but if my son would rather be a musician than have a traditional job...I will encourage him to do so, or if he'd like to be a lawyer or doctor I will support him there as well. He's only two now, so we have a long way to go...but as of now he wants to be a fire fighter. They may not make as much money as a doctor, but are every bit as important!

Quoting JingD:

Quoting aurora.dove:

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly!! I'm glad I'm not the only one :) Ivy League or not, I think everyone can truly make a difference if they apply themselves as much as they can. Someone may not have the intelligence level to make it in an ivy league school, but that doesn't mean they don't have an excellent skill in a trade type profession. My dad didn't make it past 7th grade, but built an amazing business as a boat mechanic by the time he was in his 30's. We were never rich, but we didn't hurt for anything either. Knowing the value of a days work is very important these days.

Quoting JingD:

It is not all about money. There are Harvard graduates working in non-profit making very little money, compared to how much they paid for college. I am with you. If we can all contribute to the better of our society, it will be a much better place. There is only 1 Bill Gates. We are all doing our share.

Quoting aurora.dove:

Quoting JingD:

Quoting aurora.dove:

JingD
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM

very well said!! 

Quoting aurora.dove:

Exactly!! I'm glad I'm not the only one :) Ivy League or not, I think everyone can truly make a difference if they apply themselves as much as they can. Someone may not have the intelligence level to make it in an ivy league school, but that doesn't mean they don't have an excellent skill in a trade type profession. My dad didn't make it past 7th grade, but built an amazing business as a boat mechanic by the time he was in his 30's. We were never rich, but we didn't hurt for anything either. Knowing the value of a days work is very important these days.

Quoting JingD:

Quoting aurora.dove:

Quoting JingD:

Quoting aurora.dove:

balagan_imma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I want my kids to go to a school that is good for them. DS1 has started the college search, and while he has the grades to go Ivy he isn't that interested. It's more important to him and us that the school he chooses is strong in his area of interest.

JingD
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I agree. I hate to see bright young people coming out of college with a large amount of debt.  It limits what they want to pursue as a profession because they have to make money to pay off the debt. Just imagine the burden they have when it comes to buying a house, settling down and starting a family.

Quoting balagan_imma:

I want my kids to go to a school that is good for them. DS1 has started the college search, and while he has the grades to go Ivy he isn't that interested. It's more important to him and us that the school he chooses is strong in his area of interest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN