Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do your children learn only gender associated skills?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM
  • 178 Replies
1 mom liked this

When I was growing up, my sisters and I learned to clean and iron, a little about cooking, but nothing about working on a car, taking care of the lawn mower, fixing a broken window, repairing a leaky faucet- skills that would be very useful.  How are you raising your children as far as teaching them a variety of household skills?

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cupcake_mom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
They will know everything. I'm the homemaker and my df is the mechanic and we both want our kids to learn it all. My girls love getting dirty with daddy
korra2013
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Everyone learns how to do everything. Whether they do it or not that's different. But I encourage my girls to learn about cars and fix them. I encourage my son to learn cleaning skills. When they grow up they will have to do for themselves. Just because my husband is a man doesn't mean he is excused from cleaning. We all learn everything
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Good for you and your df. 

Quoting cupcake_mom: They will know everything. I'm the homemaker and my df is the mechanic and we both want our kids to learn it all. My girls love getting dirty with daddy

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM
They haven't learned anything overtly masculine except screwing screws and hammering nails. Most things would be considered feminine. Neither of us iron though, so I'm not sure my kids know what one is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd changes the oil in her car and puts parts on her car herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this

This is such a good idea.  Even grocery shopping skills, for example. My husband doesn't have a clue. You'd think a person could just walk into a grocery store and buy what is on the list, but there is a certain skill associated with it- I've led him through checking exp dates and ingredient labels, about unit pricing, and how to pick out fresh veggies and fruits, and about brands vs generic. One time he looked at the container of OJ I'd bought and said there was a cheaper kind on the bottom shelf- I knew what he meant, but it wasn't OJ, it was a sugary drink with some OJ in it. Sorry for the rant. :(

Quoting korra2013: Everyone learns how to do everything. Whether they do it or not that's different. But I encourage my girls to learn about cars and fix them. I encourage my son to learn cleaning skills. When they grow up they will have to do for themselves. Just because my husband is a man doesn't mean he is excused from cleaning. We all learn everything

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I don't iron anymore either. :) 

Quoting polkaspots: They haven't learned anything overtly masculine except screwing screws and hammering nails. Most things would be considered feminine. Neither of us iron though, so I'm not sure my kids know what one is.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:55 PM

*nodding*  Good! 

Quoting atlmom2: My dd changes the oil in her car and puts parts on her car herself.

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:57 PM
My mom never taught me how to iron and my father didn't even know where it was until they remodeled their kitchen a few months ago (it was under the silverware drawer)
I learned how to use an iron in middle school by the head of the quilting crew. We had to iron the pieces together before we pieced them and then again before we quilted it.

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting polkaspots: They haven't learned anything overtly masculine except screwing screws and hammering nails. Most things would be considered feminine. Neither of us iron though, so I'm not sure my kids know what one is.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Do you still quilt?  I used to make some of my own clothes, and the cloth had to be ironed before laying it out to put the pattern on it, and then again before finishing the seams.  But I don't buy clothes that have to be ironed anymore.

Quoting polkaspots: My mom never taught me how to iron and my father didn't even know where it was until they remodeled their kitchen a few months ago (it was under the silverware drawer)
I learned how to use an iron in middle school by the head of the quilting crew. We had to iron the pieces together before we pieced them and then again before we quilted it.

Quoting Bmat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)