Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am a strict mama... I guess

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:46 AM
  • 117 Replies
3 moms liked this

My 12 year old says I'm too strict. I watch pg13 movies before alowing him to watch, also I read books before alowing him to read as well. There are just some topics that are too heavy for his 12 Year old brain. My opinion... What's yours?

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidyns_mommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this
we are pretty strict most say as well. He isn't allowed to watch a lot of movies/TV that aren't G. He was just recently allowed toy weapons, such as nerf guns. Now that he has learned gun safety( he has a bb gun as well,but toy weapons to us are silly because thats not what you use weapons for). we don't cuss around him.. I am sure there is more. He is 5.5
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newbieann
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM
13 moms liked this

I think too strict. But I was raised differently. I was watching war and rated R movies when I was 4. I didn't turn out violent. Opposite actually. 

But to each is own. But also remember that the more you shelter him, the more he will want to venture out and rebel, or the complete opposite. He may be so sheltered that when he gets older he won't be able to make decisions for himself. Just trust that you have raised him right and he will make the right choices with your guidence.

mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Imo too strict.
I had friends with very strict parents, and mine were more lax.where they were rebellious. I was pretty content with my life.

He will find a way. While I dint think he should get free reign I see no harm in almost any pg13 movie.
And books? Really. Like what do you find too much for him?

My oldest is 7.5 and I can think of only a few movies that would interest him that I say no to.
He loves war movies, and jurrasic park, Indiana jones, super heroes..

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
We are strict and old skool lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
susan_marie
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Quoting mommaFruFru: Imo too strict.
I had friends with very strict parents, and mine were more lax.where they were rebellious. I was pretty content with my life.

He will find a way. While I dint think he should get free reign I see no harm in almost any pg13 movie.

My oldest is 7.5 and I can think of only a few movies that would interest him that I say no to.

Oh... Fantasy isn't the problem... It's the charactors who could be your next door neighbors pulling guns on each other, over sexed and bad language that is too much. As far as books, they are sometimes more graphic than movies. 

mommaFruFru
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Like what though?
I can't think of any of those movies or books that would appeal to a 12yo

Quoting susan_marie:

Oh... Fantasy isn't the problem... It's the charactors who could be your next door neighbors pulling guns on each other, over sexed and bad language that is too much. As far as books, they are sometimes more graphic than movies. 

susan_marie
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommaFruFru: Like what though?
I can't think of any of those movies or books that would appeal to a 12yo

Quoting susan_marie:

Exactly... You don't know until you watch them or read them. He wanted to read a very detailed story of the holucost. Read it first, and there was no way that I was going to alow those images in his head. 

we-r-up-to-4
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:20 AM
3 moms liked this
My parents were like that, very strict and sheltering. I have a very hard time being a grown up. I physically couldn't order at restaurants until I started dating at 17 because growing up my parents always did that for me. I was so ignorant that I got trouble a lot as a teen because I didn't know any better. I'm raising my kids get different. At 7 and 4 they order their own meals and watch pg movies and pick their own books to buy and read. Growing up I wasn't given money, only bought what was appropriate. My kids have their own money to spend how they please. Yes I limit the candy they are allowed to EAT but they can buy however much they want with their money. They already seem more mature then I was at 15.
Mashnut3161
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM
4 moms liked this

being strict like that will make him hide what he does behind your back. You need to loosen the reigns.  Most books have age ranges on them. Some movies I understand. But he is old enough to where he is going to learn about stuff else where

susan_marie
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting we-r-up-to-4: My parents were like that, very strict and sheltering. I have a very hard time being a grown up. I physically couldn't order at restaurants until I started dating at 17 because growing up my parents always did that for me. I was so ignorant that I got trouble a lot as a teen because I didn't know any better. I'm raising my kids get different. At 7 and 4 they order their own meals and watch pg movies and pick their own books to buy and read. Growing up I wasn't given money, only bought what was appropriate. My kids have their own money to spend how they please. Yes I limit the candy they are allowed to EAT but they can buy however much they want with their money. They already seem more mature then I was at 15.

There is a big differance between being allowed to order food and watching inappropriate movies :) js 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured