Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to explain this to my mom?((edit)) (Car seat)

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:01 AM
  • 17 Replies

More than 18 kg (40 lbs.) and under nine years old or 145 cm (4'9") tall

Use a booster seat until your child is at least nine years old or 145 cm (4'9") tall.

Ideal placement:

• Place in the back seat.
  • Booster seats are designed to be used with a lap/shoulder belt. Do not use a booster seat with only a lap belt.
  • Position lap belt low over hip bones and shoulder belt over shoulder and in front of chest.

So that is BC (My province) law...for my son that is 8 my mom doesnt like the fact that he still needs a booster. She takes that as since he is 8 he no longer needs anything other then a seat belt. He is only 60 pounds and 4 foot 3 I want him in a booster till AT LEAST his 9th birthday.

She thinks this laws are stupid and since she surived with nothing and I survied ridding in the back of the pick up then my son will be fine...

I told her either he is in a booster or she doesnt get him but she thinks I am crazy...

Is this just a grandma thing?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:10 AM

I have the same rules.  Either my kids ride in their seats or they don't go.  Thankfully my mom is in agreement they need to be kept safe.

Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:14 AM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

I have the same rules.  Either my kids ride in their seats or they don't go.  Thankfully my mom is in agreement they need to be kept safe.

my mom thinks all these rules are stupid. She flat out said to me "If the seat is dirty or I dont like it then its not coming" (I clean it all the time so that wont be a problem) I told her no seat no grand kid.

Jenn8604
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM
Our laws state 4'9" or 90 lbs or 8 yrs old. Most people I know only have the kid sit in the car/booster seat and not actually strap them in. They are required to have one. But unless stopped the police never know of the violation of the law.Most parents I know are of the same mindset of your mom. I don't see the point.
its sad really. Their reasoning is I didn't have to use one or I only used it so long and I survived didn't I? My kid will be fine.
Mine is staying in his Britax Frontier 85 HARNESSED until he is too big and in a booster until 4'9" AND 90lbs. My mom is all for it as she realizes that we discover new safety measures all the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
woodswalker
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:53 AM

My kids are teens now.   But when I have grandkids I will follow whatever carseat rules are the law to keep my grandkids safe.  Your mom should too.

illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:01 AM

It's a failure-to-adapt thing, which seems to be more common among grandmothers.

You could take the step of installing the booster in her car whenever she wants to take your son someplace...start off with saying "Sure you can take him to the movies, I'll go put the booster seat in while you put on your coat." (She'll probably still protest, but if she's not doing any of the work, it becomes silly.)

waytomanykids10
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:13 AM

It's not a grandma thing here. My children's nana is more picky then I am when it comes to car seats and I'm pretty darn picky.

waytomanykids10
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Your son is old enough to speak up. Maybe really explain to him why he still needs to be in a booster and then let him tell her he wants to sit in one.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Is it a low back or high back?

How often do they NEED to go in the car somewhere together?

I'm a huge supporter of car seat safety.

Thankfully, everyone around us has been on board and my children ride with other people, what, 4-5 times a YEAR lol.

However my mil bought seats that while, were great, (the nautilus) at the time they were poorly rated for booster fit and did not fit my petite children in her car. I would lug my big recaros in and out of her car anytime needed, and it's the backmost seat of an older explorer. Not very easy.

ANYWAY. I picked up some cheap harmony low backs just yesterday (best bet on the iihs list) and gave them to her. They're stupid-light and are a good compromise.

My kids are 5&7 now, and while the 7yo is scared to not have her precious head wings and sip lol, it's great light seat in a pinch. They may or may not need to be picked up by her for this particular semester for me.

So- think about both your needs, and humor her and check the belt fit in her vehicle without it. YES it's 8 and 80 and I usually push rules for this but fit is key. Try it. If not, compromise on a small brand new seat she won't find to be 'dirty.' Seriously, the harmony was $12 at walmart.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:25 AM
My dd was not 4 ft 9 till 14. She was not gonna stay in a booster. She is 4 ft 10 and will be 20 next week. 92lbs. They have got to have an age, not just height and weight for booster laws.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Connorsmommy13
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Quoting atlmom2: My dd was not 4 ft 9 till 14. She was not gonna stay in a booster. She is 4 ft 10 and will be 20 next week. 92lbs. They have got to have an age, not just height and weight for booster laws.

It is 9 years of age which he will be in Apirl.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)