Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Naps & Newborns

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:06 AM
  • 9 Replies

First-time mom here. My DD is just shy of 7 weeks old. For the most part she sleeps well at night (down at 8-9, sleeps until 1-2, sleeps until 5-7). What I'm confused about is naps. She would doze often throughout the day, but not usually for long. I've been reading books, but they are all so confusing. Make the room dark, don't make it dark. Put her down before 2 hours awake, etc. I know she should sleep 15-16 hours per day, and she is NOT getting that... and should start to consolidate her daytime sleep. Question is - how long are typical naps at this point? Should I put her in her crib? I'm just lost - that, and still have trouble distinguishing tired from hungry. Worst part is that I just tried reintroducing dairy into my diet and she has been super gassy and uncomfortable/fussy the last two days, which is not helping any at all. :( Any advice/suggestions would be helpful. Thanks. :)

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Some babies nap, some don't. Everyone is different. As a newborn mine took an hour morning nap, 2 hour afternoon nap, and maybe a 30 min nap around 5. They did not go down for the night till 9ish and at 7 weeks my oldest was sleeping till 5 or so. Youngest was up 2 times to eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:40 AM
She could be lactose intolerant
stepho-mitcho
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Yeah, to the lactose intoelrant part. I had avoided dairy before because of gas issues, but tried to reintroduce it the other day (had cheese on turkey burger). I will not be having dairy again for a long time. I feel very bad about giving her gas. :( Luckily, it seems to be working its way out. She hasn't been trying to toot/poop as much today and seems much less uncomfortable.

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:54 AM
They have infant gas drops that might help some too.
Mrseoc
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

It always seems like there should be an answer but at this age it's just about reading her ques. If she seems hungry feed her, if she seems fussy rock her to sleep. The clock cant tell you much at this age. Pay no attention to it. She will likely create her own schedule around a year old.

You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to count how many hours she sleeps or try to rely on a predictable schedule at her age. She will go through growth spurt after growth spurt and they will constantly be throwing off her eating and sleeping schedule's. You'll be able to spot the "spurts" by how she acts (hungrier, more tired, fussier) each spurt will end just as quickly as it began. Eventually the growth spurts will spread out and she will be on a somewhat normal schedule for weeks or months at a time.

She's growing so much right now that you just need to try to keep up with her. Feed on demand, nap on demand. Dont worry about how many hours, she will tell you when she's tired.

Good Luck and welcome to mommy hood!! It's a wonderful thing!

stepho-mitcho
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Thanks. :)  She really is a good baby. I'm hoping it was just the gas that made her unable to nap the last two days. BTW - we do gas drops, gripe water (when needed), belly massage, and tummy time to help with gas. I was just BAD yesterday. Poor babe woke with a scream at one point while trying to poo. ;'(

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Just follow baby's lead and ignore your MIL.  You could have overactive letdown/oversupply.  That causes gas issues.  Join the breastfeeding group!  If you recline nursing, block feeding,etc it will take care of the gas issues.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Your milk already has lactose whether you eat dairy or not. It's very unlikely that a newborn would be lactose intolerant. People mix that up with milk protein intolerance all the time. Have you looked into overactive letdown as your source for gas and fussiness?

As for naps, just follow her cue. It's much too early to expect her to be on a schedule. Put her in her crib if you'd like. It's up to you. My 7 week old takes his afternoon nap in a swing while I do things and keep an eye on him. When in doubt about what's causing fussiness, offer the breast! You can't go wrong with that!

Quoting stepho-mitcho:

Yeah, to the lactose intoelrant part. I had avoided dairy before because of gas issues, but tried to reintroduce it the other day (had cheese on turkey burger). I will not be having dairy again for a long time. I feel very bad about giving her gas. :( Luckily, it seems to be working its way out. She hasn't been trying to toot/poop as much today and seems much less uncomfortable.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Babies this age often don't like the sensation of pooping. It's a strange feeling of which they have little control over. It's hard to relax those muscles and it can cause a panicky feeling for a baby. Those muscles will develop with age. Try to lay off the gas drops and most certainly the gripe water which can dangerously effect electrolyte levels in infants and repair her virgin gut. Sometimes babies are just fussy and doesn't mean a bunch of "remedies" need put into their bodies. Her gut is already immature enough without all that added stress.

Quoting stepho-mitcho:

Thanks. :)  She really is a good baby. I'm hoping it was just the gas that made her unable to nap the last two days. BTW - we do gas drops, gripe water (when needed), belly massage, and tummy time to help with gas. I was just BAD yesterday. Poor babe woke with a scream at one point while trying to poo. ;'(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)