Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Straw sippy cups

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:37 AM
  • 10 Replies

My doctor told me to get michael off of bottles and sippy cups

this was at 15 months

he is now 16 months and still using bottles and sippy cups(without straws)

how do i show him how to use a straw? any suggestions

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illogicalkat
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Stop giving bottles. Throw them away if you have to. And offer him cups with straws. If that's his only option for drinking, he'll figure it out pretty quick.

Is there a reason you cannot switch to a training cup instead?

Firenygirl180
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM
My 9 month old uses straws just fine. So did my now 2.5 year old at that age.

Just offer a straw cup. They make leak proof ones
Mrseoc
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I'm wondering why he's not allowed on Sippy's. But like the above poster said, he'll figure it out. You can show him, offer a cup with a straw and at the same time drink from your own cup with a straw. If he's interested in your cup then show him, offer him your straw and then show him that his is the same.

Good luck!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Mine had no more bottles at 13 months. Mine didn't use straws till around 18 months or older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katiekali
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:31 AM

thanks ill try again

ive given him the leak proof straw cups but i could see him having a problem with thembut we will try again

thanks again everyone

emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Why can't he use a regular cup, there is no need for straws either. Both my youngest could drink from an open cup at 15 months and my oldest was under 2, though I don't remember how much under 2 because that was many years ago.
Katiekali
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:32 AM

he can use a regular cup but i have to help him otherwise he dumps it all over himself and i like to leave him water and apple juice so he can drink as much as he wants

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM
We never used bottles because of breastfeeding. Both my kids loved straw cups. It seems to mimic the breast for them.
CarlyEliz
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM
My son could use a straw at 6 months... He is 16 months now and does good with sippy cups. Regular cups we have to hold for him though or he will spill.
Maeg2212
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 5:22 AM
I actually used those little juice boxes. I had my daughter put her mouth on the straw and I barely squeezed the box so sge woukd get a taste she caught right on. It was like sucking off a bottle like tge reaction. It was amazing and she was barely 15 months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)