Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids' school has a "Safe Schools" plan...

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM
  • 34 Replies

So far I like it. 

There's an entrance to our school that is wide open and that's always bothered me.

I cry when my 5yo describes her lockdown drills I freakin hate it. She pretends they're at a field trip, be quiet and hide etc. Ugh. The 7yo doesn't talk about them. I think it might bother her.

Anyway the other day they were installing big metal locking gate type doors there. You'll have to be buzzed in during school hours it makes me SO happy.

I know it's one small thing. It's enough for me. Idk what else is in there plan but it's one less access to my babies. 

(I would attend PTA meetings and such but work nights and they've most all landed on nights I would be doing so. I have participated in healthy food programs there and have even spoken at our school board in support of. I'm not a deadbeat parent lol I just can't be involved much. I'm grateful for all that people do)

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:48 AM

My dd has never talked about what they do for their drills but I have read through the papers describing it.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:54 AM

I worry about it every single day. Every day!!

I hate it. Of course the easy answer is always to just hs them or whatever. But I like to work, I like to get educated and I can't do it all. 

All I can do is my best. And they love going. I just hate sending them lol. My 5yo is so fascinated with the process of the drill. I think the 7yo understands why it's done, so doesn't love it like that.  :(

Quoting frndlyfn:

My dd has never talked about what they do for their drills but I have read through the papers describing it.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:56 AM

I am a worrier and oddly this is one thing that does not worry me.  I have to trust whichever adult she is with at the time knows the proper way to handle a situation so no one gets hurt.   Our school has 500-600 students so fairly small. At first I did not like all the classrooms have doors leading outside but those are locked during school day while class is in session.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

I worry about it every single day. Every day!!

I hate it. Of course the easy answer is always to just hs them or whatever. But I like to work, I like to get educated and I can't do it all. 

All I can do is my best. And they love going. I just hate sending them lol. My 5yo is so fascinated with the process of the drill. I think the 7yo understands why it's done, so doesn't love it like that.  :(

Quoting frndlyfn:

strictmomhere
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Glad your kiddos will be safer:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:59 AM
My kids never talk about drills:/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:59 AM

I can trust people all day long but if you're the first room it happens fast and that's all it takes.

Between all the other school shootings, and moreso Sandy Hook- and what I do for work (emergency room) shit terrifies me. Of course I keep it together and live normal but I just know. Know it could happen here, and know what happens to bodies. Ick.  :(

Quoting frndlyfn:

I am a worrier and oddly this is one thing that does not worry me.  I have to trust whichever adult she is with at the time knows the proper way to handle a situation so no one gets hurt.   Our school has 500-600 students so fairly small. At first I did not like all the classrooms have doors leading outside but those are locked during school day while class is in session.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I think school is so new for her still, in K- that EVERYTHING is soooo cool lol.

Quoting strictmomhere: My kids never talk about drills:/

strictmomhere
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
My baby is in pr K:)

Quoting AM-BRAT:

I think school is so new for her still, in K- that EVERYTHING is soooo cool lol.

Quoting strictmomhere: My kids never talk about drills:/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:05 PM

My son always tells me when they have drills. I was actually volunteering in his class when they had one. They even have a state trooper come to the school and drive around the grounds....drills are serious business.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I arrived at the school once- the office curtains were all closed, it was quiet as a mouse, I couldn't understand.

I walked through that opening mentioned in op, and was quickly ushered into a room by someone I didn't know. I was very confused and became worried. Was this real? How could I get to my kids RIGHT NOW? How can I just wait here?! Kwim! (this was a few months after Newtown)

Then I saw a group of moms in the room who informed me it was a drill. That kind of info would have been more helpful ahead of time lol. Scared the shit outta me I didn't know what to think. I didn't even know they HAD them til then. Thanks, school.

Quoting ceciliam:

My son always tells me when they have drills. I was actually volunteering in his class when they had one. They even have a state trooper come to the school and drive around the grounds....drills are serious business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)