Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homemaid baby formula

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:31 PM
  • 26 Replies

Okay I'm new to this site so i am thinking about trying to make baby formula. My son is eight months and is drinking more than WIC can give us in a couple weeks we do not have money to buy more formula. That is the only reason I'm going to try this i just wanted the advise of other moms.

the recepe calls for

13- 1/2 oz carnation evaporated milk

26. oz of sterile water (boil water for 10 min)

6 tsp of brown Karo syrup

and a couple drops of baby vitamins
(tri-vi-sol)

if loose soil decrease Karo syrup if hard stool increase

..... how would you store this formula?

thanks in advance

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JacksonsMommy2
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Honestly I have never heard of homemade formula, but if it works and it better for them please let me know!

seaturtle1
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:09 PM
4 moms liked this

I do not see any nutrition in this at all.  I could not breast feed so I had to use formula which is junk in a can also.  But this recipe is nothing but a bunch of sugar.  Which is not good for babies.  The closest thing to mothers milk they say is goats milk.  You can get it at walmart.  Is your son on food yet?  If he is drinking to much formula that is also not a good thing. He may not be hungry just bored.  Try playing with him or destracting him instead of giving more formula.  If he is eating foods he should need less formula.  Also water is great for babies they need just straight water.  Hope my answer helped in some way.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:10 PM
I wouldn't. I breastfeed to avoid formula. Just cut back and buy formula. Wic is also suppose to supplement what he needs.
ColieO
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Since he's 8 months old, why not let him eat regular food instead of pumping straight sugar into his system? He can eat soft table foods. My kids started on avocados, bananas, mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, peaches, pears etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM

This does not sound healthy at all.

aimesnyc
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say that if you can afford to buy the ingredients for homemade, you can probably afford to at least buy some store brand formula until WIC gives you more.  I would think that store brand formula is probably better than the homemade.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
That just sounds like a bad sugar mix and expensive to make. And I dont think a couple of vitamin drops will make up for all the sugar.
At 8 months wic probably reduced the formula you get because wic has you start solids around 4 months old.
coopersmommy843
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

WIC purposfully gives you less forumula than you'll need #1 to encourage BF and #2 to make you take a little responsiblity for your child.  If you have any friends that are nurses sometimes they can talk to the formula reps and they can get you some to help you out (my mom's a NNICU nurse and their rep helped us by the case because after much trying and lactation consults and pumping and exhaustion I got NO production).  At 8 months you should be getting WIC for baby food and baby cereal so you should be feeding that too, but I've never had WIC so I may be wrong on the baby food thing (just know from friends and years at the grocery store).  But a can of store brand formula is less than $20 and you shouldn't need more than 1 or 2 a month so maybe apply for FS or find some part time work doing something to suppliment your income.

DanaMarie411
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:00 PM

After reading this, it seems to look like a horrible idea. There seems to be very little to no nutritional value to this and yoru child isn't going to get the proper amount of DHA that is vital to his or her development.

I wouldn't touch this recipe with a 10 foot pole I would ask a doctor about it if you are intent on moving forward with it.

Also go on the interenet and sign up for free samples. when I had my first son I was breast feeding and I still had free samples of huge cans of baby formula in my mail!

Keda84
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM
I wouldn't make this...you might be over feeding him. How often does he get a bottle and how many oz? With my first baby I got enough formula from wic. At 8 months wic gives food so I would feed him some solids in between bottles and water.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)