Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 1/2 Year Old Son Still Not Fully Potty Trained....Help!

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:52 PM
  • 2 Replies

My son Nathan is having trouble with potty training. He is 4 1/2. He didn't start fully going pee in the potty with no accidents until right at age 4. Now we have been trying to get him to go poo in the potty and it's a battle everyday. He will have some markings in his underwear like he has tried to go or has held it in. When we see this we put him on the potty to try and go and he cries and screams like he's scared. We don't know why or what to do. There are a lot of times he just goes in his underwear. If I smell it, I will ask him if he went poo and he always says "I Don't Know" when he has gone. It's like he doesn't care to go in his underwear at all. We've tried rewardarding him if he went in the potty, but he wasn't interested. My other two boys were potty trained around age 3 so I am at a loss of what to do. DH and I have had some family members comment that he is just being lazy. I hope this makes sense. I have only made a few posts on here. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks ladies!

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
143myboys9496
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Both of my boys were peeing in the potty far before pooping in it. As a matter of fact, my eldest used to run circles around my dining room table when he had to poop, because he didn't want to go in a pull up and didn't want to go on the potty. My younger ds was similar but not as bad. He didn't mind as much about going in a pull up, (I think he was THAT afraid of the potty). 

At the time their ped said it's normal. For some reason they view their poop as a part of them, and pooping in the toilet can be scarier than peeing in it. 

IMO, don't make a big deal out of it, stay calm. Try telling him, pooping in his underwear is making more work for mommy, and holding it isn't good for his body. ;) And that, well people poop, so we need to come up with a plan ask him if he'd prefer using a pull up for now (so he's not soiling underwear or holding it). 

If he chooses pull ups, (even if he still ends up pooping in his underwear) have him empty the poop into the toilet and flush it. He'll get it eventually. 

IMO, not making a big deal out of it, takes off some of the pressure. Which can be HUGE. The way I look at it, no kid ever tested for their license not pooping in a toilet. Really, he'll get it.

Good luck. 

Momofboys22
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Quoting 143myboys9496:

Both of my boys were peeing in the potty far before pooping in it. As a matter of fact, my eldest used to run circles around my dining room table when he had to poop, because he didn't want to go in a pull up and didn't want to go on the potty. My younger ds was similar but not as bad. He didn't mind as much about going in a pull up, (I think he was THAT afraid of the potty). 

At the time their ped said it's normal. For some reason they view their poop as a part of them, and pooping in the toilet can be scarier than peeing in it. 

IMO, don't make a big deal out of it, stay calm. Try telling him, pooping in his underwear is making more work for mommy, and holding it isn't good for his body. ;) And that, well people poop, so we need to come up with a plan ask him if he'd prefer using a pull up for now (so he's not soiling underwear or holding it). 

If he chooses pull ups, (even if he still ends up pooping in his underwear) have him empty the poop into the toilet and flush it. He'll get it eventually. 

IMO, not making a big deal out of it, takes off some of the pressure. Which can be HUGE. The way I look at it, no kid ever tested for their license not pooping in a toilet. Really, he'll get it.

Good luck. 

Thank you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)