Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you been or do you live in New York City?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM
  • 41 Replies

My DF and I work for the same company, and will be in Philidelphia PA for a conference in March 29th-April 2nd. It's a huge dream of mine to visit NYC, so we went ahead and took off the rest of that week off and take a couple days to visit NYC. We will have our son with us who will be 3 by then, and would like to find something fun there for him to do while we're there, on top of a few things we would like to see. I know that The Statue of Liberty is something I definitely want to see, beyond that I don't even know where to begin! How does one experience New York City in just 2 days?!

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I live in Philadelphia. I've been to NYC a few times just for fun to go shopping & such. Try to go see where the twin towers used to be & a horse carriage ride through central park. FOA Schwarz toy store too.

a_and_j_momma
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I am going to visit in July
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Those sound absolutely wonderful! I knew Central Park was a must, I didn't think about a horse and carriage ride though! FAO Schwartz would be awesome as well, DS would be in heaven! I didn't even think about ground zero, but I would definitely love to see it as well. DF is a former Marine, so that would be a great place to see as well.

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

I live in Philadelphia. I've been to NYC a few times just for fun to go shopping & such. Try to go see where the twin towers used to be & a horse carriage ride through central park. FOA Schwarz toy store too.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM

If you have time there is a bunch of cool stuff to do in Philly with kids too :)

Quoting aurora.dove:

Those sound absolutely wonderful! I knew Central Park was a must, I didn't think about a horse and carriage ride though! FAO Schwartz would be awesome as well, DS would be in heaven! I didn't even think about ground zero, but I would definitely love to see it as well. DF is a former Marine, so that would be a great place to see as well.

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:03 PM

I haven't ever been, but would love ideas of things to do there as well! DF will be in training seminars during the days we are in Philly, so DS and I will likely be out looking for things to do while they are training.

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Ohh & I don't know if you've ever been to Philly but theres lots of cool stuff to do here with kids :)

aimesnyc
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I have lived in NYC since 2005.  I live in Queens.  Luckily, you are coming at a great time (at least I think so).  Spring in NYC is my favorite. :)  Don't be afraid to try the subways, and weat comfortable shoes - there will be a lot of walking.  Prepare for possible rain as well.  One way to "see" the Statue of Liberty for free is by taking the Staten Island Ferry to Staten Island and immediately back to Manhattan - the ferry goes by the Statue.  Otherwise you have to pay to actually see it up close.  One place I avoid like the plague to take my visiting family and friends is the Empire State Building.  You will spend the majority of your time there in line.  Try to eat at local places rather than restaurant chains that you have at home.  Also, if you are in Times Square, simply walk a few blocks West and you will be in Hells Kitchen.  There are great places to eat there, especially for brunch.  Don't get overwhelmed.  Pick a few places that are on the top of your list to visit, and go there.  Central Park is a must.  Good luck! :)

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:08 PM

It's a shame it's cold because we have an awesome Zoo. Def check out The Please Touch Museum, I guarantee he will love that one. Also the Academy of Natural Sciences (that's where they have all the dinosaur bones) & The Franklin Institute. Those were all my favs as a kid.

Quoting aurora.dove:

I haven't ever been, but would love ideas of things to do there as well! DF will be in training seminars during the days we are in Philly, so DS and I will likely be out looking for things to do while they are training.

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Ohh & I don't know if you've ever been to Philly but theres lots of cool stuff to do here with kids :)

cocoroo
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:10 PM

I grew up in NJ about an hour from the city, so I was there all the time.   Times Square is cool.  The Toys R Us is really cool.  The WTC memorial would be something worth seeing.  You could explore Central Park a bit.   There are a ton of museums also. I haven't been in about 10 years.  I miss the City.  I used to hang out in Greenwich Village all the time.  I miss the Broadway plays and hockey games.

Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Also look for the Philadelphia Duck Boat Tour. He would love that. It's a giant bus shaped like a duck that takes you on a tour of the whole city then goes into the river for a boat ride. It's kind of like a boat on wheels.

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

It's a shame it's cold because we have an awesome Zoo. Def check out The Please Touch Museum, I guarantee he will love that one. Also the Academy of Natural Sciences (that's where they have all the dinosaur bones) & The Franklin Institute. Those were all my favs as a kid.

Quoting aurora.dove:

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the tips!! I'm glad you mentioned rain, because we would have ended up buying rain gear there! Definitely prepared for walking, and the subway is one of the things I'm most excited about!! Definitely not afraid at all. Central park is something we are definitely looking forward to, and Time Square as well, so we may definitely take your advice as far as visiting Hells kitchen! I had no plans of eating at any chain restaurants lol, I told him I think our best bet as far as a NYC experience goes is to eat at small dives, or stands on the side walk. I have no desire at all to go to the empire state building lol, I'm terrified of heights. I'm sure it won't be my last trip, so I know I won't see everything at once, but I'm just so excited I'm not sure what I want to see the most!

Quoting aimesnyc:

I have lived in NYC since 2005.  I live in Queens.  Luckily, you are coming at a great time (at least I think so).  Spring in NYC is my favorite. :)  Don't be afraid to try the subways, and weat comfortable shoes - there will be a lot of walking.  Prepare for possible rain as well.  One way to "see" the Statue of Liberty for free is by taking the Staten Island Ferry to Staten Island and immediately back to Manhattan - the ferry goes by the Statue.  Otherwise you have to pay to actually see it up close.  One place I avoid like the plague to take my visiting family and friends is the Empire State Building.  You will spend the majority of your time there in line.  Try to eat at local places rather than restaurant chains that you have at home.  Also, if you are in Times Square, simply walk a few blocks West and you will be in Hells Kitchen.  There are great places to eat there, especially for brunch.  Don't get overwhelmed.  Pick a few places that are on the top of your list to visit, and go there.  Central Park is a must.  Good luck! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)