Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Growing pains in knee capa

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM
  • 6 Replies
My 2.5 year old has been saying her knee caps hurt/ache badly for the last 6 months or so. Every week she gets up of her night sleep crying because of the pain, it's quite bad. This usually happens maybe once or twice a week, some weeka it's more often. And if she had any minor activity, such as sone eunning during the day, it's sure keep up all night. I rub it but it doesnt help much. Sometimes she also says it hurts during the day too but more rare. She is consistent with which knee hurts within tge same week, but some weeks the hurting knee changes. 15% of the time she says the bone in her lower calf hurts, and even more rare at tines she says her feet hurt. This is really bothering her and upsetting me and keeping us both sleepless! Dr did bloodwork to rule out rheumatoid. Its negative. She disnt think xrays are necessary. She says its growing pains, but could growing pains be this severe? Have ur kids esperienced this? What can i do do alleviate the pain?
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mom2Boys9501
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Bothy boys went through the same thing. My oldest more thany youngest. It does sound like growing pains. Just keep rubbing them and give her tylenol before bed.
emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Thusfar we're at the same point you are with out almost the year old complaining of knee, foot and lower back pain
Cozie_Sisika458
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 2:32 PM
Try Vicks on her knees when they hurt. My son went through the same thing. It got bad where his leg/knee was really swollen. This was when he was 5. He is 9 and I think he will be going through another growth spurt now. He's been complaining his legs and knees are sore. But the Vicks really helped.
seaturtle1
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I say growing pains.  But I would not let it go on to long.  Then get a second opinion.

143myboys9496
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Both my boys had growing pains. It'll stop for a while and probably pick back up again for her in middle school. Try ibuprofen (advil/motrin), maybe a warm bath before bed.

wagners7
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Ice, elevate, children's motrin and rest, which will be difficult at that age but also keep proactive for a 2nd opinion just in case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)