Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

mother of a 3 year old and need advice

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:20 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have a 3 yearold daughter she is vary smart has a huge vocabulary and makes everyone smile. The only thing that dosent make me smile is the fact that she dose not want to listen. She is constantley telling me no or I don't want to. I need advice on how to handel this what I can do. What kind of consaquences work what kind of reward dydtem should I use for good behavior
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sdsgrubb
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Sticker charts work for alot of kid's. 2-3 minutes of time out in a chair if it gets bad enough. Can alway's take away toy's for bad behavior, or reward her with toys for good behavior after a certain time of good behavior. (Dollar Tree toy's work wonderful) 

gummiebear813
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:31 AM
Thank you for your advice I will try that
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:33 AM
2 moms liked this
Natural and logical consequences.
If she says no to cleaning up her toys you take them away etc.
sdsgrubb
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Your very welcome. I hope something works out. You can always message me and ask for other thing's. My daughter was a handful at 3 too lol.

Quoting gummiebear813: Thank you for your advice I will try that

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Which way do you want to go for discipline? Positive rewards or negative consequences?  My daughter has done well from toddlerhood with a combo of both.   For misbehaviors she gets one warning to stop and correct herself or she would get a time out.   She is in elem. school now and we still use time outs when not at home.  It is the most immediate consequence for when she acts up.

gummiebear813
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:42 AM
I would like to reward her for good behavior but right now I think she needs diciplin I do time outs but they don't seem to correct the behavior

Quoting frndlyfn:

Which way do you want to go for discipline? Positive rewards or negative consequences?  My daughter has done well from toddlerhood with a combo of both.   For misbehaviors she gets one warning to stop and correct herself or she would get a time out.   She is in elem. school now and we still use time outs when not at home.  It is the most immediate consequence for when she acts up.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Time outs will need to be consistent for a long time.  3 yr olds love to test boundaries to see where mommy may give up and not correct their behavior.  Make sure that for each time out you explain at the beginning and end why she was placed in time out for that 3 minutes.

angelchewning
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Dr Sears recommends a "yes days" chart for children saying "NO" to parents. heres a clip from the article on how to do it:

14. Have a “Yes” Day

Jill, mother of five-year-old Andrew, confided to me, “I don’t like what’s happening to me. I want to enjoy being a mother but our whole day is spent in conflict with each other. Andrew won’t mind when I ask him to do even the simplest things. I’m becoming a cranky person, and I want to be a happy mother.” I advised her, “Tell Andrew exactly what you want. Say ‘I want to be a happy Mommy, not a cranky Mommy. (or ask Andrew ‘Would you rather have a happy Mommy or a cranky Mommy?’) To help me be a happy Mommy, we’re going to have yes days. Every time I ask you to do something and you say ‘yes Mommy,’ I’m going to put a yes on the chart. At the end of the day if there are more yeses than no’s, that’s a yes day, and we’ll do something special together.’” (or, let Andrew mark yes on his own chart.) Soon Andrew will realize that the happy Mommy is more fun to be with than the cranky Mommy, which will motivate him to continue having yes days.

gummiebear813
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM
thanks for all the advice
decemberLee13
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter bill be 3 Feb 5th and OMG can she really get under my skin sometimes. telling me no having attitude and the works. but I have started the 3 strikes and ur out... its starting to work.

strike 1) a simple warning that she only has 2 left

strike 2) stand her in the corner for a few min.

strike 3) I spank her butt and have her take a nap with no tv (she hate ls not having her tv on for nap time)

Sorry if the spanking my kid offends anyone I know these days a lot of moms are against it. I however feel that there is nothing wrong with a small spanking to the butt as long as you don't leave hand prints and there are clothes or diaper covering there butt. but if you don't want to spank them yo can always take there fav toy or something else that you know they won't like!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN