Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My little brother's twitter

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:16 AM
  • 28 Replies

He is the only boy in a large family of all girls. My parents always gave him a lot of leeway attitude wise because they felt bad for him being the only boy- so he has a decent size ego, along with being a 21 year old guy. But we were very close growing up, shared a room, he used to wait for me to to get home from school everyday, I host his birthday dinner every year, and I have always been supportive of him. He is VERY book smart and a great college athlete. However he is lacking in the 'people skills' department, if that makes sense.

I went to college but am a SAHM. My DH works a demanding job and is gone a lot. We also have a 16 month old who is asthmatic and on a nebulizer and albuterol inhaler, so I feel it is best to keep her home. It has been very up and down with her health and she spent most of her first year sick.

So I found my brother's Twitter and he posted a tweet about me-

'I am going to follow in my sister's footsteps and waste my college education being a home maker. Dead ass.'

This is the kid who when no one would hire him locally this summer because of his athletic schedule we paid him $10/hr to clean out our basement and do other chores so he could take his GF somewhere nice. Now unfortunately I come from one of those families where most of the people are arcastic jerks to one another, but out of all of my siblings I am surprised my brother publicly insulted me like that. Our Mom was a SAHM, or worked nights so she could be home during the day.

I don't have a Twitter so I can't retweet to call him out. I don't know that I even would. I feel like if I showed my parents/siblings the tweet they would make excuses and brush me off. Also he's 21 what would they even do or say.

I guess I am looking for some perspective. Would you be hurt? As far as I could see he tweeted some crappy stuff about our family in general but I was the only one he mentioned specifically. I probably won't say anything to anyone but my DH. I mean I know it's the age and the way my parents raised him and the fact that he's never really worked or been on his own so he's fairly immature. It is still hurtful though.
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TCain0001
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:20 AM
2 moms liked this

If that were me, I'd create a Twitter account (it's free), and give him as good as he gave--something along the lines of "Oh really?  At least I don't have a small dick and can't keep a girl happy!"--see how he likes his shit put out on social media (mind you, this is just me--I can be a bitch when people piss me off by doing shit like this!)

Tatiana7
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd be hurt. I'd keep in mind that he may be trying to impress a few lug head guys his age, too. I understand sarcasm, but you have the right to feel or react to anything that is hurtful. How you react is key. And being socially awkward, perhaps he thinks insults make him fit in?

Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Call him and chew him out.
snowangel1979
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:33 AM
2 moms liked this
Honestly your making excuses for him also.
I would probably say something to him next time you talk to him especially of he wants something, I would say something like well since I wasted my education IDK if I can do that. I would also mention you would like your family dynamics kept off social media.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JRE119
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:48 AM
True.

Honestly I'm actually disappointed he (so far) has turned out to be so crappy towards other people. I feel conflicted because while he's my brother and I love him- I am coming more and more to not like him. If that makes sense.

I really don't know how much of his stupidity is immaturity and how much of it is how he is actually as a person. I do know at his age my DH was not like that. But we didn't have any kind of social media to spew jackassery. We had internet lol but not all this crap.

Also it is embarrassing that he would say that stuff about me but not to my face. It's a public twitter too.

If you're going to talk about people like that at least have the decency to make it private.

Quoting snowangel1979: Honestly your making excuses for him also.

I would probably say something to him next time you talk to him especially of he wants something, I would say something like well since I wasted my education IDK if I can do that. I would also mention you would like your family dynamics kept off social media.
black_sun99
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd punch him in the throat.  

JRE119
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Yeah I won't be doing him any favors any time soon. Unfortunately if I call him out in my family I will be the bad guy. Which is probably how he ended up thinking it was ok to say shitty things about people like that in the first place.

I know my DH is going to be pissed if I tell him because of all of the help we gave him this summer. He tweeted the insult around thanksgiving time.
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you now at to oh, idk call him, visit him instead of starting a drama filled social networking war.

Sit him down and ask him wth his problem is and why is he maligning your family publicaly.

This is not a text or email conversation..... It is in person and if you are too far away , it's a vocal conversation on the phone. One cannot convey a true emotional response of hurt/ pain through text.

Work it out old school, you're an adult. Social media call outs is for Tweens and teens.

This is why families become so estranged... No one faces confrontation head on....always behind a keyboard.

Your brother was WRONG. Tell him so verbally. . Air it out.

I 'm not mad at you, please don't take my outrage that way. I'm mad at phrases like " well I would create an account and tell him blah blah " or just the general " let your fingers do the fighting. Uh-uh make him face you. Own up to it explain himself without the luxury of editing before hitting " send"
strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:15 AM
I would chew him out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JRE119
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 8:19 AM
He is at home currently on his winter break. He goes back to college next week.

I do not know that I feel comfortable saying anything to him. Like I said I will be made the bad guy if I call him out. I am not sure it's worth it. Especially considering the fact that I don't know that it would help. I feel like he'd just go back on twitter and say more insulting things about me.

I'm not going to change his attitude about me or anyone else in my family.

I honestly hope he does what he claims to be doing in his twitter feed- graduating and moving out. He needs a wake up call that only the real world can give him.

The part that really upsets me is he tweeted it a few weeks after we had to start my 16 month old on 2x daily nebulizer treatments. He knew everything that was going on with her and still felt the need to insult me anyway. When I read that I was like 'thanks for kicking me when I was down.'

Quoting Momofmenagerie: Have you now at to oh, idk call him, visit him instead of starting a drama filled social networking war.

Sit him down and ask him wth his problem is and why is he maligning your family publicaly.

This is not a text or email conversation..... It is in person and if you are too far away , it's a vocal conversation on the phone. One cannot convey a true emotional response of hurt/ pain through text.

Work it out old school, you're an adult. Social media call outs is for Tweens and teens.

This is why families become so estranged... No one faces confrontation head on....always behind a keyboard.

Your brother was WRONG. Tell him so verbally. . Air it out.

I 'm not mad at you, please don't take my outrage that way. I'm mad at phrases like " well I would create an account and tell him blah blah " or just the general " let your fingers do the fighting. Uh-uh make him face you. Own up to it explain himself without the luxury of editing before hitting " send"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)