Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Pumping

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM
  • 16 Replies
How long does breast milk stay good? how do u store it properly? How do u heat it up or do I heat it up?
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 14, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Join the breastfeeding group. Kellymom.com has great tips for storing milk. You heat it up by thawing it in warm water.
imamommytobe93
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 8:55 PM
Do u have to freeze it? Or can it be refrigerated?
britmichele
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Room temp 2 hours
Fridge 2 days
freezer 10-12 months
Deep freeze 18 months

All approximate :)
imamommytobe93
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:07 PM
Ahhhhh thank u! :)
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Room temp is 6-8 hours,
Fridge up to a week,
Regular freezer, 3-6 months
Deep freeze, 6-12 months.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM
This is the most accurate answer I've seen. Also, the longer dates are the maximums. You can leave milk in the fridge that long, but you would want to freeze it if you're not going to use it soon.
You heat milk up either using hot water from the sink or on the stove. I toss frozen bags in large pots of water on the stove and put the heat on low and it takes a while but I don't have to stand over it watching to make sure it doesn't boil. For a bottle in the fridge, I don't heat them up. We give cold milk. I just thaw frozen milk enough so it's not frozen anymore.
Quoting SewingMamaLele: Room temp is 6-8 hours,

Fridge up to a week,

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Oh and you can store in bottles or bm bags. I use bottles in the fridge and freeze in bags. I don't have enough bottles to freeze milk in, so I only use them when the milk is going to be used within a few days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamommytobe93
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Is it ok to give her cold milk so soon? She is 5 days. Don't wanna hurt her tummy

Quoting polkaspots: This is the most accurate answer I've seen. Also, the longer dates are the maximums. You can leave milk in the fridge that long, but you would want to freeze it if you're not going to use it soon.

You heat milk up either using hot water from the sink or on the stove. I toss frozen bags in large pots of water on the stove and put the heat on low and it takes a while but I don't have to stand over it watching to make sure it doesn't boil. For a bottle in the fridge, I don't heat them up. We give cold milk. I just thaw frozen milk enough so it's not frozen anymore.
Quoting SewingMamaLele: Room temp is 6-8 hours,

Fridge up to a week,

imamommytobe93
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Bm bag?

Quoting polkaspots: Oh and you can store in bottles or bm bags. I use bottles in the fridge and freeze in bags. I don't have enough bottles to freeze milk in, so I only use them when the milk is going to be used within a few days.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Yeah,they're like ziplocs designed for breastmilk. I've used lansinoh and gerber bags and both work just fine.
And it's fine to give cold milk, but some babies prefer it warm. Dd liked her milk warm, but ds never minded and ds2 doesn't seem to either.
Why are you planning on giving pumped milk so soon? It's usually recommended to wait until your supply regulates to pump and give bottles unless you have to be away from baby.

Quoting imamommytobe93: Bm bag?

Quoting polkaspots: Oh and you can store in bottles or bm bags. I use bottles in the fridge and freeze in bags. I don't have enough bottles to freeze milk in, so I only use them when the milk is going to be used within a few days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)