Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Advice for mom who might lose her baby

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:45 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi all!

I am writing to all of you, because a close friend of my family's gave birth yesterday to a baby boy, the only problem is that the boy did not want to breathe when taken out of the mother and had to be assisted with all the tubes and stuff. Furthermore, when trying to identify the problem, the doctors find out that some sort of liquid and blood is coming out of his lungs. The next few hours are critical for the baby and I just don't know what to do. One of the best doctors I know is a non-believer and she said that we should pray for the baby. I want to be of help and I just want to know what the mother and the father in their situation might need the most now (besides good news for the little boy). 

P.S. If any of you feel like it, say a little prayer for us. The baby's name is Philip. 

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
csxt99
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:09 AM

Hard one.  Call them and see what they need from you.  That's the only advice I have.

lanajanefox
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:22 AM
4 moms liked this

I feel for you, and especially for the mom and dad of the poor baby! I hope it all gets well. I had a similar situations a couple of years back. My husband's best friend and his wife had a baby. It was all going great she was planned to deliver with a c-section when the doctors noticed something's wrong with the baby - it wouldn't cry, breathe, or move. They tried their best, but in the next 48 hours it died. I am sorry to having to say that to you, I certainly hope that doesn't happen in your situation. What my husband and I did was the following:

1. My husband went with the father to the hospital and helped him get medicines and supplies the baby and the mom needed (the baby was eventually moved to a different hospital, so they had to visit two different ones)

2. The family had a bigger girl that stayed with his parents, so the parents couldn't help with the housework and the cooking. I would make extra food for him and we invited him over to dine with us, or packed lunch for him, etc. You could do this for both the mother and the father. Although the mother might have some specific dietary requirements or she might have to eat the food in the hospital, so keep it in mind.

3. If they have other children some baby-sitting might be required on your behalf. Offer your help.

4. Help with the housework. I know that this might be last in the list, but obviously they will have to stay longer in the hospital. If the baby comes back with the mother, the home needs to be clean, if not sterile, if the baby is in such a fragile condition. When our friends came back they were shattered though and the mom was in no condition to maintain the home. We offered them (and eventually booked for them) regular cleaning services. There are professional cleaning companies in sydney that work on a short notice, on holidays and odd hours (just in case of emergencies)

5. Offer money. This is a hard time and if you can afford it, offer your financial help. Some medicines and supplies are expensive. Ask them if they need it and insist that they take it.

6. Pray for them. I will too and I hope little Philip gets better. :)

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Call and ask. You could make up a gift basket. I'm praying for the baby.
Busymomma1988
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel for her. If I was in her position, I would want some support, just someone to sit there with me and maybe a hug. I agree with the first person thouhg. Perhaps call and see if there's anything you can do for her.
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Yes, Philip and his family are in my prayers. If the parents have a church they should call the minister (priest, rabbi, etc) to come over to the hospital and pray with them.

All I can think to say would be that you are thinking of them and praying.

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Philip and his family are in my prayers.  

countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Oh goodness, I will definitely pray for him.  That is so scary and so sad.  I don't have any advice other then to pray and hope for the best.  Hugs to you and your friend. 

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Baby Philip and family will be in my prayers.

Just be there for them and support them any way you can. I not to long had a preemie that was in the hospital for a while and it was comforting to just have people who were praying for him and calling me to see how I was doing and if there was anything that they could do for us. Just do that it will help more than you know.

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Do they have older kids maybe help with them or cook meals i will pray for baby:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Agree with all. ((hugs))
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)