Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

normal two year old behavior?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:26 AM
  • 8 Replies
My son will be two in a couple days. I was wondering if his behavior is normal? He hates hates getting his diaper changed and getting his clothes on/off. He throws horrible fits. He hits his head when mad sometimes and looks to see if I see him. Sometimes when he is playing and I will ask to see one he will scream at Me. The dressing has been stressful on Me...is there anyway to make it better?? Please help
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
DACIA79
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:30 AM
Start potty training and if your still using the one piece pj's switch to the two piece otherwise I have no clue.
angl_gurl1
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:42 AM

sounds like he might be ready to start potty training 

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:30 AM

If he's 2, he can start dressing and undressing himself.  You may even consider starting to potty train him to help with the diaper issue.  He's probably hitting his head for attention if he's looking for your reaction.  These little guys are SMART & manipulative.  You should mention any concerns at his 2yr well visit.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it's normal, stay calm, if he's good give him some kind of reward. When he's having a tantrum and head banging walk away, tell him to come and see you when he feels better. Don't play into the drama, but sometimes you can head off a fit with distraction, if you know he's heading down that road say anything that will make him change direction "I wonder if Big Bird likes cookies as much as Cookie Monster?" :)

mommacatof3
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Ah they don't call them the Terrible Twos for nothing. If he screams at you,I would put him in time out. He has to know that's no acceptable behavior. As far as dressing goes,try switching him to Pull Ups and see if he will dress himself like a big boy. Maybe he wants to do things on his own. Talk to his pediatrician also if there are any other concerns.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Well put. Also, op, is there a new baby in the house?

Quoting mommacatof3:

Ah they don't call them the Terrible Twos for nothing. If he screams at you,I would put him in time out. He has to know that's no acceptable behavior. As far as dressing goes,try switching him to Pull Ups and see if he will dress himself like a big boy. Maybe he wants to do things on his own. Talk to his pediatrician also if there are any other concerns.

coopersmommy843
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Maybe let him help when you're dressing/undressing him, it might take longer but it may alleviate the tantrums at those times.  The head hitting is probably normal, I've know several kids that did that and they all grew out of it once it stopped working for them to get their way.  Potty training could go either way, try introducing it and see if he takes to it, if he doesn't don't push the issue or it'll take longer (boys are difficult), but he sounds like a normal 2 year old testing his boundaries.  3 is worse... GOOD LUCK!

jenny84jenny02
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:07 PM
There is not a new baby in the house
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)