Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What precautions do you take to avoid the flu?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:49 AM
  • 86 Replies

I wash hands as soon as I get home.

I got the flu shot.

I try to stay away from people with flu, but this is hard to do when shopping.

What do you do?

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Steph
by Group Admin on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I do the same as you, except for the flu shot, plus I carry travel-sized Purel in my purse with me and use it frequently, and I also take advantage of the wipes many stores offer to wipe down the buggy handles before pushing them along.

funmommy123
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I wash my hands a lot & try to stay away from sick ppl. I have never gotten the flu shot though.
Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I noticed in the hospital that everyone was to (and did) use the purel stuff on the way into a patient's room and on the way out of the patient's room, so this is a pretty strong indication that it must work. I haven't used it but maybe should.

Quoting Cafe Steph:

I do the same as you, except for the flu shot, plus I carry travel-sized Purel in my purse with me and use it frequently, and I also take advantage of the wipes many stores offer to wipe down the buggy handles before pushing them along.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:14 AM

My whole family got the flu shot when my son was small because he has a health issue and we wanted him to stay well.  He did fine. :)

Quoting funmommy123: I wash my hands a lot & try to stay away from sick ppl. I have never gotten the flu shot though.

funmommy123
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:21 AM
I have thought about getting it, but MIL & a few other ppl I have talked to said that everytime they got the shot, they would get the flu. Then, they decided not to get the shot anymore & haven't got the flu yet I'm still 50/50 about it..

Quoting Bmat:

My whole family got the flu shot when my son was small because he has a health issue and we wanted him to stay well.  He did fine. :)

Quoting funmommy123: I wash my hands a lot & try to stay away from sick ppl. I have never gotten the flu shot though.

Bmat
by Barb on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I understand. It might be worth bringing up with your doctor next time you go to see what they say. 

Quoting funmommy123: I have thought about getting it, but MIL & a few other ppl I have talked to said that everytime they got the shot, they would get the flu. Then, they decided not to get the shot anymore & haven't got the flu yet I'm still 50/50 about it..

Quoting Bmat:

-PB
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I get a flu shot and wash my hands a lot.  Also, I avoid touching my face when I am out.  Viruses are often introduced into the eyes, nose, and mouth.  So if my eye itches for example I use a tissue to rub it so I'm not touching my eye directly.

fudgybuddymom
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Got the flu shot.

a_and_j_momma
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I wash my hands and eat healthy. I get the flu shot only because it is required at the hospital I work for. My kids do not get the flu shot and wash their hands and eat healthy
countrygirlkat
by Kathleen on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this

We all get the flu shot every year.  I know this sounds bad but I don't really feel sorry for people who get the flu but didn't get the shot.  My friend and her whole family have the flu right now and they don't vaccinate for anything so they didn't get the shot and while I am sad they feel bad, I kind of see it as a more preventable thing.  I digress though......

We also try to wash hands a lot, teach the kids not to share drinks and to cough or sneeze into their arm, etc. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN